Pimoroni 8" HDMI LCD Kit

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
annemangione

Pimoroni 8" HDMI LCD Kit

Post by annemangione »

Hello! I am having a terrible time with this product. I'm trying to use it as a monitor with a raspberry pi zero w. I have it hooked up to its' own power supply & the controller. The first time I tried to hook it up, I got output from the rpi for maybe a minute & then never again. I only ever get a grey screen with maybe some lines in it.
I feel like it is probably defective, but maybe I'm just missing something?

annemangione

Re: Pimoroni 8" HDMI LCD Kit

Post by annemangione »

I wanted to add that I tested the monitor with a second RPi with no luck and confirmed that the original RPi worked fine with another monitor.
There are also parts easily breaking apart and coming off without any effort when I'm trying to use it. At this point, I would just really like a refund (I think this is where I do that?).

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@annemangione,

Pimoroni supports their hardware and handles replacements. Let us know if you get stuck and we will help out.
For product support, replacement parts and warranty for Pimoroni products, visit the Pimoroni forum or contact Pimoroni directly.
http://forums.pimoroni.com/
https://shop.pimoroni.com/pages/contact-us

annemangione

Post by annemangione »

Thank you!

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Curious if you got this resolved with Pimoroni?

I purchased two 8" LCD kits from Adafruit. One of them worked fine (connected to a PC) for one quick test, but now only displays a blank screen with a bunch of vertical lines. The second display has a very faded/washed out image, and was mirrored for a while. I wonder if they had a bad batch of displays? I swapped the two displays with the two control boards and the issues stay with the displays, but I'm not ruling anything out. Not much else I can troubleshoot :(

I emailed Pimoroni, but I'm waiting for a response.
Attachments
SN02A01HA14T21365_VerticalLines.jpg
SN02A01HA14T21365_VerticalLines.jpg (987.79 KiB) Viewed 176 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@twizzstyle,

Did you hear back from Pimoroni on your display?

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Pimoroni sent me two replacement kits, and they aren't working for me either. With a tiny shred of luck I had a short time last night where I had two working displays, but the next morning they were dead again, despite not touching them nor anything changing.

Of the four displays that I now have, connecting them to the same control board I have:
- One display that seems to be working ok at this very moment
- One display that has a washed out white/gray image
- One display that displays nothing but vertical lines
- One display that is completely dead, the backlight doesn't even light up

I get the same results no matter what control board I use.

It would seem very unlikely to have four whole kits that are no good, but I am really stumped as to what I could be doing to cause any problems. The ribbons are fully seated and locked, no visible damage to any component.

I am connecting directly to a PC with HDMI, so there is no config or anything.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

It sounds like these displays are not working for you. I would send them all back to Pimoroni or continue on with their support for resolution.

twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

Pimoroni tells me they don't have any other ideas for troubleshooting and I should return the displays to Adafruit.

The form factor of these displays is perfect for my project so I'm really hoping I can get them working. Hoping somebody else (like the original poster of this thread?) sees this and has other ideas.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@twizzstyle,

If Pimoroni does not have a resolution you can contact support about a returns ( [email protected] ). You will need to include your order# and links to this forum thread. Since you have one working and three not fully functional it might be a good idea to switch displays.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”