LED strip coding projects/what to purchase?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dwlaidlaw

LED strip coding projects/what to purchase?

Post by dwlaidlaw »

Hello,

Could you or anyone advise which components are adequate for the LED lighting projects? Below I have included a description of my proposed projects.

I have a raspberry pi 4. I have a drumset. I want to create coded light patterns with LED lighting strips lighting up the drumheads. I am wondering if I should get a separate Arduino computer to run the 6 strips needed to light the heads. Seperately, I want to create sound-reactive LED project using more LED strips. I’ve seen this done by creating separate modules (one for each drum) using multiple GEMMA VOs. So, 6xGEMMA VO plus 6 lengths of LED strip. Next, powering. I am wondering if it is possible to tie together (and power) both of these lighting systems for use together or in alternating manner.

Thank you,
David

Franklin97355

Re: LED strip coding projects/what to purchase?

Post by Franklin97355 »

Do you mean GEMMA M0 or something else? You could use another M0 board unless you have a use for that one specifically.

dwlaidlaw

Post by dwlaidlaw »

Yes GEMMA MO. Those are how I've seen the project (sound-reactive LEDs) accomplished. I'm coming from raspberry pi land and new to all this so not sure what to get. I could get 6 GEMMA MO for the individual "assembly" (microphone, gemma, LED) under each drumhead. Then get some other processor component with GPIO pins to wire up the LEDs. Any recommendations?

David

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you post a link to the project you want to follow?

dwlaidlaw

Post by dwlaidlaw »

Here is the original article featuring the GEMMA (sound-reactive LEDs on drums).
https://learn.adafruit.com/gemma-powere ... it-diagram

I'm now thinking I could save and accomplish the same thing by swapping GEMMA for QT PY. Here's another article showing the QT PY and LED only. I'm assuming the QT PY has enough pins for both mic and LED strip.
https://learn.adafruit.com/qt-py-and-ne ... -for-qt-py

Thanks for your interest and support.
David

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”