NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring: flashing and/or dead pixels after a sh

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_carter

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring: flashing and/or dead pixels after

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Thanks. And I'm thinking that example sketch may be a little too fancy for troubleshooting, now that I look at it again. Let's switch to something super simple. Something that just lights up basic colors and nothing else:

Code: Select all

Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

#define LED_PIN   17
#define LED_COUNT 15

Adafruit_NeoPixel strip(LED_COUNT, LED_PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

void setup() {
  strip.begin();
  strip.setBrightness(50);
  strip.fill(0xFF0000);
  strip.show();
}

void loop() {
}
With that, should get solid red on all pixels. Or, can change the 0xFF0000 to some other color and try that as well.

jefflim

Post by jefflim »

Ok, I just uploaded this sketch to the teensy 3.2, and now the 1st LED just barely dimly flickers. However, reverting to the old "fancier" sketch results in the same earlier result.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Do you have any additional NeoPixel strips to try testing? As a way to verify the expected the behavior with the current setup?

jefflim

Post by jefflim »

Yes, but they are nearly all in various states of malfunction. I will try these as well and reply to the thread soon.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

i'd definitely suspect a very noisy/glitchy 5V or ground OR humidity/moisture that's making its way into the LEDs. we've stocked the SK6812 family of neopixels for a loooong time and they dont really 'die' on their own the way ancient WS2812's would.

power and moisture are the two things that can still 'kill' - a good oscilloscope could watch the power lines. could also add 100 ohms in series with the data line in case the wires are long, acting like inductors.
how long are the wires?

jefflim

Post by jefflim »

Interesting...there is little chance of moisture/humidity in the environments in which these are installed. The wires we have are approximately 14" long, but we could shorten those up a bit if that is an issue. We could also test put a scope on the lines for additional testing on the 5V coming in, and add the recommended 100 ohm resistor on the data line. Although, during testing, the wires we used were about 5-6", and not sure that inductance is an issue here. Thank you for the additional suggestions, and stay tuned!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”