2.5" NTSC/PAL TFT Stopped Working

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
brobits

2.5" NTSC/PAL TFT Stopped Working

Post by brobits »

Hi!

I have been using this product for a few days: https://www.adafruit.com/product/912
My order No: 2680593-0289510684
Ordered on October 15, 2021 & I started using it last week.

I connected the composite video cable (white wire) directly to a FPV camera's PAL feed and the camera has been working for a few days since last week running on both a 9V battery and 12V from a variable power supply.

Today, the display stopped working! I was switching modes in the camera, something I'd done many times before, and the display turned to rainbow colored snow. After power cycling, the display now shows a scrambled repeating sequence shown in the attached video each time I power up.

I have been diligent to prepare and maintain the display, its PCB, and display ribbon. You can see in my photos here (https://imgur.com/a/BYlLGu7) and the attached photo of the ribbon cable that all components are intact and the ribbon is not damaged. All wires in the ribbon appear connected and I don’t see any breaks or damage.

Have I done something wrong? Have you seen this issue before or do you know what I can do to fix this? I purchased this about a month ago and I have been using it on my desk for a few days and I'm pretty disappointed the display seems to just have stopped working without being disturbed or variance in power.

brobits

Re: 2.5" NTSC/PAL TFT Stopped Working

Post by brobits »

bump?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Has the yellow wire always been disconnected?
wires.jpg
wires.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 169 times

brobits

Post by brobits »

I believe the NTSC/PAL signal was always sent through the white wire. I cut the composite adapter to directly connect the video feed wire to the white wire on the board.

when I grounded the yellow wire (as I'd expect in a NTSC/PAL signal) no image was displayed on the TFT. only when I connected my NTSC/PAL video feed to the white wire the TFT correctly displayed video. this was working just fine for about 2 or 3 days until the TFT simply stopped working. I inspected the ribbon cables for damage and could not find any damage on the board or in any ribbon cables. The TFT was secured in a 3D printed enclosure, was not damaged, and shows no signs of damage or wear.

to reiterate, I did not have any issues getting the TFT to work with my FPV camera. it was all working fine for 2 or 3 days when the TFT suddenly crapped out. I have no clue how it happened, the board was not being manipulated but the product seems to be behaving as if there's damage to the ribbon cable. I would be fine with a replacement as I'd still like to use the TFT for a project, but I cannot bring myself to pay another $50 for a faulty product.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try connecting the yellow wire to the shield of the input.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

also good to check that the signal *generator* is giving you good signal, maybe the sync line is loose? but yes, the ground line is *required* to the shield

brobits

Post by brobits »

Try connecting the yellow wire to the shield of the input.
I will try this later tonight after work but this will not work. The wired configuration worked without any changes in wiring. Previously wiring the video feed to the yellow wire did not produce an image on the TFT.
also good to check that the signal *generator* is giving you good signal, maybe the sync line is loose?
the signal generator is a FPV camera that works fine in other devices. the issue is in either the TFT or the TFT's PCB.
but yes, the ground line is *required* to the shield
the shield was wired to receive +12VDC on the red wire, GND ref on the black wire, and FPV video signal on the white wire. this configuration worked for 2-3 days until the TV showed intermittent multicolored snow, making me think the cabling was loose. I power cycled and now I receive the image pictured above.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

also make sure the 12V is really 12V DC clean, and not "14V" or "16V" from some battery packs that say "nominal 12V"

brobits

Post by brobits »

I first encountered the issue wired to a 9V battery, and then switched back to a 12VDC Korad KD3005P programmable power supply. the issue persists on the 12VDC clean supply

brobits

Post by brobits »

franklin97355 wrote:Try connecting the yellow wire to the shield of the input.
I tried this tonight with no success. I have a clean 12VDC supply from a bench, a verified FPV signal, and I am experiencing the same flickering static in the video I posted.

please advise how to resolve this issue with this nearly brand new TFT? I feel I've tried the suggestions and there's not much more I can do for a faulty product.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok email support@adafruit for a refund - it may just not work with your NTSC source. you may want to ask folks using that source what they know for sure works1

brobits

Post by brobits »

yes I will ask around. thank you for your help

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”