How do I dim the backlight on 20x4 character LCD with backpa

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
c15571

How do I dim the backlight on 20x4 character LCD with backpa

Post by c15571 »

I am using the 20x4 white on blue LCD character display (Product ID: 198} with the I2C/SPI character LCD backpack (Product ID: 292) On a Raspberry PI Pico (Product ID: 4864). I have everything connected and it is working perfectly.

There is one thing puzzling me though. How can I adjust the brightness of the backlight while using the backpack? The headers used to mount the backpack to the display block the ability to wire in the potentiometer that is included with the device.

Am I missing something?

Could I remove the pins from the header at position 15 and 16 on the backpack and add the necessary wiring to support the potentiometer?

Thanks in advance for the help.

TonyC

adafruit_support_bill

Re: How do I dim the backlight on 20x4 character LCD with ba

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The pot packaged with the display is normally used for contrast. But there is a contrast trim-pot built into the backpack.

It should be possible to do some surgery on the board to wire the spare pot in series with the backlight. But the range of adjustment is likely to be very limited as it is a 10K pot.

c15571

Post by c15571 »

adafruit_support_bill,

I missed that the pot was for contrast rather than brightness in the docs, thanks.

What value for the pot would give a better range?

TonyC

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

How low do you need to go? Something like 100 ohms would give you substantial dimming. 1K ohms should take you down to a very dim glow - if not completely off.

c15571

Post by c15571 »

adafruit_support_bill,

Not sure how much I want to dim it. The values you gave me certainly help. I will try one. If it isn't dim enough, I'll try the other.

Again, thank you for your quick response.

TonyC

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”