PiTFT 3.5" Display & Pygame Dual Screen HDMI

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
0ran0c0

PiTFT 3.5" Display & Pygame Dual Screen HDMI

Post by 0ran0c0 »

Hello,

I've really been struggling with this problem. I'm trying to use Pygame to write a menu display to the PiTFT 3.5" display then have the desktop display over HDMI to a wearable display. I followed the instructions to use the installer on Adafruit Learn. I have SDL 1.2 therefore (I substitued 'stable' with 'oldstable' for Buster the OS I'm running). I checked and do have fb1 & fb0 - two framebuffers - but there are no video modes associated with fb1. I highlight this issue because when my python script attempts to display the menu I get an error stating the resolution is incompatible with the pygame display despite it being the same size!

I've looked in numerous places for solutions. There seems to be quite a few problems with using PiTFT now with up-to-date distros? I believe a definitive guide to using PiTFT with Pygame especially as a dual screen could benefit many people please?

I've really tried my best but I'm running out of ideas! All help much appreciated.

Cheers.

0ran0c0

Re: PiTFT 3.5" Display & Pygame Dual Screen HDMI

Post by 0ran0c0 »

Hello,

A quick update. I have dual displays working. However, when Pygame is writing to fb1 (a menu on the PiTFT) fb0 (the desktop on the wearable display) goes blank. Then when Pygame exits fb1 goes blank and fb0 is displayed again. It's not exactly what I was expecting. I suppose I was hoping both displays could be used concurrently. But, it's progress and possibly something I can work with. If anybody is aware of a way for both fb0 and fb1 to be active concurrently please I'd appreciate the help.

Best, 0.

0ran0c0

Re: PiTFT 3.5" Display & Pygame Dual Screen HDMI

Post by 0ran0c0 »

Hello,

I'm finding lots of information from numerous efforts to have dual displays with TFT screens & hdmi but having little success myself. Again, the idea would be to have both the PiTFT 3.5" plus and hdmi Wearable Display displaying different framebuffers simultaneously. That is, a simple menu in Pygame on the TFT and the Raspbian desktop on the Wearable Display.

I'm about to post to the Raspberry Pi forums for help but if anyone reads this with ideas I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”