Make 300mm Superlarge Inductive Coil

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
quentinm

Make 300mm Superlarge Inductive Coil

Post by quentinm »

Just got my first inductive LEDs kit and it is just awesome. I have so many projects I want to start. Unfortunately most of them require a slightly larger coil than the existing Large Inductive Coil. A 300mm coil would be a great addition to the Inductive LED family!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Make 300mm Superlarge Inductive Coil

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I doubt you'll find anything that size. There would be major issues with EMF emissions.

Aside from that, you'd have serious power issues. Power transfer between inductors depends on the overlap between the magnetic fields. Making the coil on one side larger doesn't make the field around the other coil larger, it makes the smaller coil's field overlap a smaller fraction of the large coil's field.

Magnetic fields form loops around current flowing through a wire, so energy density in the field is roughly proportional to the area enclosed by the coil. For a circular loop, doubing the diameter of the coil increases the enclosed area by a factor of 4. If you want to get the same amount of power transfer to a fixed-size secondary coil, you have to quarduple the power that flows through the large coil.

quentinm

Re: Make 300mm Superlarge Inductive Coil

Post by quentinm »

Thanks a lot for those clear explanations! It all makes sense.

I'll include 200mm coil in my designs.

Have a great day!!!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”