Does this schematic work?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
djanim8

Re: Does this schematic work?

Post by djanim8 »

do I use the Adafruit Circuit Playground board? That's the only one I see in the Arduino IDE.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You need to load the board package that contains the Trinket M0. See this page in the guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-tri ... -ide-setup

djanim8

Post by djanim8 »

I can't get it to upload. I have the Adafruit Trinket M0 selected on Com11 but get this message:

No device found on COM11
Upload error: Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 1

When I do a Tools - Get Board Info, I can read the info on the board, but I can't get the code to upload.

adafruit_support_bill

What operating system are you running on your PC?

djanim8

Post by djanim8 »

I'm running Windows 10. I did a computer reboot with the board plugged in and it worked. But trying to update it I keep getting the "No device found" error. I can't consistently update the board without restarting the computer.

djanim8

Post by djanim8 »

So far this is working. I ran the strandtest example and it worked. I wrote the code to mimic what was in the py code and it didn't work. The only difference I saw was that the strandtest code was putting a brightness of 50 out of 255, so I tried that and it worked.

I decided to try to change the brightness in the py code to 0.2 to see if it would work, but it didn't for some reason, then going back to arduino, it didn't work either. Resetting the board and putting the arduino code back on it seemed to work.

So it looks like the brightness was affecting it. Maybe it was drawing too much power?

adafruit_support_bill

How many pixels do you have connected? If the pixels try to pull more power than your supply can handle, it can cause a 'brownout' that crashes the processor.

djanim8

Post by djanim8 »

there were 54 connected. The original instructions I'm building this from had 106.

djanim8

Post by djanim8 »

I just finished it with 108 LEDs and it still works with the brightness set to 50 of 255

adafruit_support_bill

We can't verify the accuracy of the original tutorial you are following. But if reducing the intensity makes it work, you are probably on the right track. You can try gradually increasing the intensity to achieve the effect you are looking for. If necessary, you can look at increasing the capacity of your power source.

djanim8

Post by djanim8 »

I'm content with how the brightness is for now. But it's good to know that it was probably the cause.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”