T1000S Controller - How to use the "Set" Button

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
t1000_ws2801

T1000S Controller - How to use the "Set" Button

Post by t1000_ws2801 »

I am trying to troubleshoot my T1000S controller with WS2801 LED string configuration (which comes on - all LEDs solid white, but error flashing on controller, and will not read any programs from SD card). The T1000S user manual describes the "Set" button - "Without SD card use in to choose the Chip type". And they list 8 different categories of Chip type. So my assumption is, with the power on, if I keep clicking the Set button, I will cycle through those chip types until I find the one which is mine (which is the last category they list - "WS2801,WS2803"). I assume this because when I keep clicking the Set button, the LED lights change patterns (all white, blinking, different colors, etc.).

But how on earth do I know where I am in the cycle? How do I know I've set the correct chip type? And to make things more confusing - other tutorials suggest the "Set" button is used to "Set" the controller after you have selected the light (.led) program you want to play using the "Mode" button (so that even after reboot, it will remember). So which is it? This dang thing is sooooooo confusing, but I'm going to stick with it for the time being (I really want it to work). I bought an Arduino Uno as a backup - but that looks like even more of a programming nightmare...

For now, my thought is - if I correctly "Set" the chip type, then my flashing error light on the controller will go away, and it will properly read the SD card.

P.S. I am pretty sure my wiring is correct - it exactly follows the step by step guide for 4 wire I2C configuration found here: https://learnitstepbystep.blogspot.com/ ... orial.html

Any thoughts/guidance?

t1000_ws2801

Re: T1000S Controller - How to use the "Set" Button

Post by t1000_ws2801 »

Instead of deleting my post - quick notes in case other run into this issue..

Yes - you use the "Set" button to cycle through different Chip types, BUT only when powered on with NO SD CARD inserted (which it does clearly say in the description above). There still isn't a great way to know which Chip type out of the eight you've selected, but it is one where the lights are constant white. Trial and error - with SD card out - power on - click "set" button a few times (but make sure whatever selected has all white leds) - power off - insert SD card with simple program - power on - success? tried that a few times - now works..

DugaldM

Re: T1000S Controller - How to use the "Set" Button

Post by DugaldM »

Hey mate,

I'm having the same problem with some WS2811 lights. We've installed 650 of them on a large art sculpture and they have been working with both custom & stock shows off the SD card. However when I removed the SD card to update the custom shows, the system was used for a few hours and they cycled through all the built in effects on the T1000s Controller multiple times, using both the SET and MODE buttons.

Now, when I went back to re-insert the SD card, it wont read any of the shows.

However, no matter how many times I cycle through the 'Set' list without an SD car installed, I still can't seem to find the 'ws2811' chip type. Where abouts did you find the list of chip types, and could you post it here?

Cheers mate
Attachments
Bridge 1.jpg
Bridge 1.jpg (546.81 KiB) Viewed 490 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”