64X32 PANEL BROKEN

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gavinlusby

64X32 PANEL BROKEN

Post by gavinlusby »

I recently ordered an LED Matrix from the adafruit website(along with a 5V 4A power supply).

It is the 64x32 RGB LED Matrix - 3mm pitch - Part No. 2279

As soon as I received it and plugged it in with the 5V 4A PSU(Part No. 1466), the Matrix started glitching and making random colored lines appear and disappear sporadically on the display despite not having any input in the back besides the 5V Vcc and Ground connector provided with the Matrix. When i tried plugging it in to my
and wiring everything correctly to a breadboard and RPi using the rpi-rgb-led-matrix library, the board still did not function properly and only displays the same output whenever plugged into power(this is not a result of the Raspberry Pi as it does this even when not plugged in to any logical input, and I have been having this error since before I ever plugged in any kind of logical input into the HUB75 connectors). View Image attached. I believe the Matrix I received arrived in a broken state and would like a replacement part if possible.

And yes, I made sure I plugged into input, and not output

Attached are the images of the board when not plugged into the raspberry pi(same display regardless of if plugged in).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
IMG_1975-min.jpg
IMG_1975-min.jpg (810.32 KiB) Viewed 130 times

gavinlusby

Re: 64X32 PANEL BROKEN

Post by gavinlusby »

Backside here since I can only post one picture per post
Attachments
IMG_1976-min (1).jpg
IMG_1976-min (1).jpg (898.33 KiB) Viewed 124 times

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

These displays will not show anything useful with just power.

Please post photo(s) showing how the RGB LED matrix is being connected to the Raspberry Pi.

gavinlusby

Post by gavinlusby »

This is how it is hooked up. It always displays this image regardless of how it is plugged into anything. I know for a fact that it is broken because it should not be doing this. When you rotate the display sometimes the pixels slightly change and move around only to move back to the same position. Clearly this is a result of some kind of short or a faulty solder.
Attachments
Hnet.com-image (1).jpg
Hnet.com-image (1).jpg (789.48 KiB) Viewed 101 times

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The jumper wire connection method is extremely problematic, not recommended, and not supported:
https://learn.adafruit.com/32x16-32x32- ... mper-wires

It's best to use a dedicated board that allows connecting the ribbon cable directly.

For the Pi, there's a HAT:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2345
and a Bonnet:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3211
available.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”