Pimoroni HyperPixel4 (rect. no-touch) died after light usage

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Egahn

Pimoroni HyperPixel4 (rect. no-touch) died after light usage

Post by Egahn »

Hello!

I purchased a Pimoroni HyperPixel4 rectangular non-capacitive/non-touch screen on April 28th, 2022.

I installed my HyperPixel4 on a CyberDeck HAT plugged into a Pi400, following the Adafruit instructions to "cut the trace" on the HAT to get it working. After a little bit of fumbling around with the drivers, I got it working and was even able to play some RetroPie games on it! I showed it off to some friends on Sunday and everything was great.

I plugged my Pi400 in again yesterday, and almost immediately smelled some of that "magic smoke" / ozone indicating something bad had happened. Turns out my HyperPixel no longer lights up, and won't display anything. I gave it 24 hours to settle and tried again, and indeed I can smell something getting hot very fast again today.

I suspect I have a dead screen at this point. I am not sure if it's the HP4, the CyberDeck HAT, or both. If I unplug the CyberDeck/HP4 from the Pi400 everything works fine (I can connect the Pi400 to HDMI and everything still works). Given that it worked fine for at least a little while, my suspicion is that it's the HP4 that died, and not the HAT, but I am not sure.

I have another (unmodified) CyberDeck HAT that I bought as a backup, but am hesitant to "cut the trace" on that one without knowing if it'll fix the problem with the HP4 or not.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

dastels

Re: Pimoroni HyperPixel4 (rect. no-touch) died after light u

Post by dastels »

It's unlikely that the CyberDeck blew, it's just traces connecting one connector to the other, except for the I/O connectors with their diodes. If you remove the display and plug in the CyberDeck by itself it should make clear whether it's the deck or display that's the problem.

Dave

Egahn

Post by Egahn »

Hi Dave,

I finally got around to testing this, sorry for the delay. Removing the Pimoroni HP4 and just plugging in the CyberDeck, everything seems OK. No ozone smell. So I guess the conclusion is the that the HP4 bought it.

Is this the right place to request a replacement HP4? Or should I send an email to support?

Thanks!

dastels

Post by dastels »

This is the place. Stay tuned.

Dave

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

did you plug the HP4 'off by one' into the 2x20 header? the cyberdeck has a nub so it can't go in wrong, but there's nothing stopping the HP4 from misconnection.

Egahn

Post by Egahn »

I haven't tried plugging the HP4 directly into the Pi400. I have only attached it to the CyberDeck (which as you said, has a nub to prevent misalignment). The HP4 was working fine, fully screwed into the HAT and functional. I had run the install script and done the screen rotation, and played a few hours of RetroPie on it, no problems. I turned it on the next day, and it no longer lit up, and I smelled ozone right away.

dastels

Post by dastels »

It's odd that it suddenly stopped working. Usually if soemthign electronic works it'll keep working for a long time, except when it doesn't. We'll do a one time replacement on this, i.e. if the replacement stops working we're not replacing it. If you're cool with that email [email protected] with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one Pimoroni HyperPixel - 4.0" Hi-Res Display - Non-Touch.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”