LCD refresh rates

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CVMORE

LCD refresh rates

Post by CVMORE »

I'm interested in purchasing the small IPS displays in the 1 to 1.5 inch range, however I didn't see any information about their refresh rate. Are these capable of displaying video at 30fps?

blnkjns

Re: LCD refresh rates

Post by blnkjns »

It all depends on the controller, and the SPI speed the board is capable off. The common displays in that range are 240x135 or 240x240 pixels. So you need roughly 30Mhz SPI. A M4 board or a Teensy 4 will be able to deliver the needed throughput, and the 4.1 also has a SD slot so you can easily store the video files.

CVMORE

Post by CVMORE »

blnkjns wrote:It all depends on the controller, and the SPI speed the board is capable off. The common displays in that range are 240x135 or 240x240 pixels. So you need roughly 30Mhz SPI. A M4 board or a Teensy 4 will be able to deliver the needed throughput, and the 4.1 also has a SD slot so you can easily store the video files.
Thank you for that information. I'm basically making a little diorama that will include a little TV that will be using one of these small screens, I wanted to have it loop some 5 to 10 minute video. I'm a novice when it comes to small electronics but I'm willing to learn. What would be the easiest way to go about this? I basically just need to know how to have a video file from a micro SD card displayed onto one of these small screens. I want to just be able to flip a switch and have my diorama come to life and basically be hands off until I want to turn it back off.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You can use the Push-Button Power Switch:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1400

It has an input a microcontroller can toggle to shut itself off. You’ll already have a programmable device to run the video, so it’s just a matter of setting a GPIO pin to toggle when you want things to shut down.

blnkjns

Post by blnkjns »

I think you need to convert the video into a series of bitmaps. Quicktime on a Mac can do that. Most microcontrollers don't have the oomp to decode MPEG-like algoritms on the fly. Most movies are 24fps. So 10 minutes will mean your SD containes like 1440 16-bit bitmap files.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”