Questions about the Turing Complete Monochrome LCD

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mikeramsey52

Questions about the Turing Complete Monochrome LCD

Post by mikeramsey52 »

I'm in search of a daylight readable display to synchronize a datalogger with video shot on a GoPro. The Turing Complete 10 digit monochrome LCD probably meets my needs. But I'd like two, or maybe even three, on my logger since it will be viewed from different sides.

There isn't any mention of the I2C address so I assume it's not settable. From the code at GitHub I'm guessing it might be 0x38. Looks like it's write only. So would this work if I daisy-chain 2 or 3 to all display the same info?

Also, any suggestions for mounting, especially perpendicular to a PCB? There are not mounting holes on the display.

Franklin97355

Re: Questions about the Turing Complete Monochrome LCD

Post by Franklin97355 »

Page 4 of the datasheet seems to intimate you can use more displays with the chip but I didn't read it fully

mikeramsey52

Re: Questions about the Turing Complete Monochrome LCD

Post by mikeramsey52 »

Yes, you're right. There's a single pin to select I2C address 38 or 39. There are 3 additional address select pins but those correspond to the device select bits in the device select command byte. The intended use is to drive 8 different subdevices at each I2C address but I don't see why I couldn't have them all with the same subaddress. It does look like a write-only memory. The only reply from the chip is the acknowledge bit.

Worst case, the display module itself looks like I could unsolder it without much trouble. With access to the driver chip, I might be able to rewire some of the address pins.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”