20x4 LCD Specs Needed to Choose Series Resistor

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
d7x

20x4 LCD Specs Needed to Choose Series Resistor

Post by d7x »

I was following the tutorial on http://www.ladyada.net/learn/lcd/charlcd.html which explains
"To calculate the value of the series resistor, look up the maximum backlight current and the typical backlight voltage drop from the data sheet." I looked at the links to the data sheet on the product page http://www.adafruit.com/datasheets/TC2004A-01.pdf but didn't see a term called voltage drop. I'm also looking for the max backlight current but only saw a term called max input or max supply voltage. What's the best way to find this info in order to pick the correct resistor?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 20x4 LCD Specs Needed to Choose Series Resistor

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The voltage and current ratings are at the very bottom of page 5 on the data sheet (4.2v/180mA). But that data sheet is for a yellow/green backlight.

With the white backlit units we have in the store, you can connect directly to 5v as in the tutorial photos.

MakerDane

Post by MakerDane »

I have a very similar question / problem. I purchased the White on Blue Standard LCD 16 x 2 + extras (PID 181) which has a similar backlight specification chart (Operating Voltage 4.1v, Forward Current 100mA). I'm new to this and thought the kit would include everything I would need to hook up the LCD for my project but there are no resistors included.

Is the 4.1v "operating voltage" also known as the "voltage drop"? If so, am I correct in using a (5-4.1)/0.1 = 9 ohm (or larger) resistor?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if you bought it from the adafruit shop, simply follow our tutorial, the resistor is on the PCB

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”