LED pixels is a really confined space

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mayhem2408

LED pixels is a really confined space

Post by mayhem2408 »

I really like the RGB LED pixel strands, but currently have a specific requirement that limits my use of them in the space available. I need to have the LEDs spaced about 12mm apart, so the flexi strip (http://www.adafruit.com/products/306) is out because the pixels are 30mm apart. The space I have to put the LEDs are 400mm wide, 10mm high and 50mm deep. after the 50mm deep, it becomes 30mm high.
So my question is, is it possible to take the 12mm Diffused thin digital pixels (http://www.adafruit.com/products/322) and desolder the LED and put it on wires about 40-50mm long, or can the outer plastic jacket be taken off to reduce the size of the unit. Water proofing is not an issue and they will be in a watertight container. My other alternative is to purchase chips and LEDs and make my own strip.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?

pburgess

Re: LED pixels is a really confined space

Post by pburgess »

Wow, that's a squeeze.

I've managed to peel the housing off a couple LED pixels, but it's a lot of work and a pretty rough operation (wouldn't surprise me if the survival rate were a lot less than 100%). But in theory, yes, no reason why this wouldn't work. I think this is going to exceed your 10mm height limitation though (the LEDs themselves are about 11mm tall IIRC, and that's not even counting the wires...so you'd probably be taking every LED to a grinding wheel as well).

Had some other ideas, but they all come up a bit short, mostly due to the narrow space. Can you elaborate a bit further on the desired effect and the available space? (Maybe a diagram?)

If you decide to roll your own, this fellow might be able to offer some insights.

pburgess

Re: LED pixels is a really confined space

Post by pburgess »

Oh, brain fart! MaceTech has something almost exactly to your specs, if 1/2" (12.7mm) spacing would be acceptable. Just 'tile' a bunch of these together. Done!

While the 12mm pixels in the shop could likely be modified into doing the job, it would be an enormous amount of work and you'd just end up BANNED and cranky. That's no good and I couldn't do that with a clear conscience. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”