EL wire won't light up all the way

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
joannes

EL wire won't light up all the way

Post by joannes »

My el wire will light up but only in short areas. I had this problem once and ordered replacements but the same problem occurred. I bought the wire and soldered it to the inverters. There was a post earlier in this forum that has a picture of exactly what my wire looks like.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: EL wire won't light up all the way

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Are you sure you have a good solder connection to both corona wires? Post a photo of the wire & connections.

joannes

Post by joannes »

Here is the connection
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (197.95 KiB) Viewed 1387 times

adafruit_support_bill

Looks like you got both corona wires there. But since this is already your second length of EL wire, lets make sure we understand the problem before sending you a replacement.

Look carefully at the partly illuminated wire. Does the glowing section spiral around the wire following one of the corona wires? If you post a photo, we'll take a look too.

joannes

Post by joannes »

It looks like the glow follows a corona wire. It is a faint glow. The larger area that glows is blotchy and is concentrated on the inner core of the wire. As I was examining the wire the area that had a glow actually increased in size or disappeared as I followed the line of the corona wire. Could the run of EL wire you are sending be defective? Unfortunately, I cant send a photo till 3:00 today.

joannes

Post by joannes »

Is there someone I can talk to about this instead of waiting for replies. We are working on a deadline using your product and need a quick solution or plan for an alternate solution. Thanks so much.

joannes

Post by joannes »

Here is the photo, we would like an answer by the end of the day to order more if necessary
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (99.77 KiB) Viewed 1311 times

adafruit_support_bill

If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we will send you a replacement. I have sent a message to the factory to check into the possibility of a bad lot of wire.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

We don't suggest getting any more raw EL wire and attempting to solder to it - instead, purchase the pre-soldered EL. Its easy to damage the EL by cutting/soldering it incorrectly!

joannes

Post by joannes »

Is there a way you can test the wire before you send it? I am assuming it is a bad lot of wire can you choose from another lot number, or is there another color similar that can be sent, we are working with a deadline of november 14. With this deadline looming this will be or last opportunity to get your product delivered then assembled, tested before we run out of time.

joannes

Post by joannes »

We posted the link to our conversation. We had questions that we were told to post to you. Here they are:
My concerns:
1- can you test wire before it is shipped
2- select from a different lot or we choose a different color (with the hope that that lot of wire will work)
3- unfortunately we can use the pre-soldered wire because we need to customize lengths for project)

The reply from adafruit support did not uthorize a refund for loose wire. We can not use the pre-soldered lengths. We are extremely careful handling the EL wire.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

We only had one spool remaining, which appears to be damaged. We've already packaged it and sent it back for testing at the factory. So we don't have the ability to test it right now. We suggest locating another supplier that has raw EL in the lentghs you need.

joannes

Post by joannes »

Can i get relacement wire in white ?

joannes

Post by joannes »

Second request, is white loose wire available to substitute for damaged aqua wire spool?

adafruit_support_bill

Due to problems, we do not have any raw EL wire in stock at this time. We do have pre-terminated lengths in both aqua and white. But if you need raw wire, we suggest you contact another supplier.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”