There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

LED Belt kit Ubuntu 11.10
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED Belt kit Ubuntu 11.10

by grunthus on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:03 pm

Hi, I have the digital LED belt, following the tutorial here (bought a while ago):
http://www.ladyada.net/make/ledbelt/

Step 1. I can ignore since this is an Ubuntu system (according to tutorial)
Step 2-4 OK
Step 5. Hmm. Which IDE am I supposed to use for this? I took a stab at the windows one and ran it under wine.

Trying to connect to the atmega32u4, the IDE gives the following error on upload:
Binary sketch size: 7096 bytes (of a 28672 byte maximum)
Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "B†"; type = Software Version = Hardware Version =
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?

Anyideas? Thanks in advance
grunthus

Re: LED Belt kit Ubuntu 11.10

by adafruit on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:40 pm

make sure you hit reset right after uploading!

adafruit

by grunthus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi, confirm I'm pressing the reset after hitting upload, green LED pulses.
Running the IDE under wine, trying different COM ports.

COM1: avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
COM2: ditto
COM3: avrdude: ser_open(): can't set buffers for "\\.\COM3"
COM4: avrdude: ser_open(): can't set buffers for "\\.\COM4"
COM5: avrdude: ser_open(): can't set buffers for "\\.\COM5"
COM6: ditto
COM7: ditto
COM8: ditto
COM9: ditto

Not sure which COM port wine would map serial port to, but none of them seem to work. Was defaulted to COM2.

I know that the 32u4 breakout has a special version of the IDE - is there a better way of doing this in Ubuntu than using the windows binary under wine. For example, can I apply the modification to a more up-to-date version of the arduino IDE and run it native?

Thanks.
grunthus

by tldr on Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:44 pm

teensyduino can be had for linux, so why bother with windows emulation?
"If I had known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself." - Phillip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly
tldr

by grunthus on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks tldr, I've been looking into teensyduino. The board which came with the kit is Adafruit's m32u4 breakout board. I ended up here:
http://www.ladyada.net/products/atmega32u4breakout/

The avrdude test worked after changing the port option to -P /dev/ttyACM0:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
avrdude -p m32u4 -P /dev/ttyACM1 -c avr109

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = "LUFACDC"; type = S
    Software Version = 1.0; No Hardware Version given.
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x44

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9587

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK
avrdude: ser_close(): can't reset attributes for device: Invalid argument

avrdude done.  Thank you.

So that's good, the board is alive. Interestingly, repeat run of avrdude failed, I had to bump to ttyACM1, so presumably that error message about ser_close() is to blame for that?

So next, I will look into teensyduino, but that will not be this night!
grunthus

by tldr on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm

grunthus wrote:Thanks tldr, I've been looking into teensyduino. The board which came with the kit is Adafruit's m32u4 breakout board. I ended up here:
http://www.ladyada.net/products/atmega32u4breakout/

oh. i followed the link in your first post and saw all the teensyduino stuff. it's also an m32u4, but adafruit uses a different bootloader, so i was kind of confused.

mostly, i was curious as to why you were running all this stuff in a windows emulator, since all of the tools are unix native, except the ide which is java and, thus, os agnostic.
"If I had known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself." - Phillip K. Dick, A Scanner Darkly
tldr

by grunthus on Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:29 pm

I've started over and made a good bit of progress. I've gone the teensyduino route to try and get the LED belt kit to work. This is a 64bit box, so I have installed the 64 bit versions.

1. Installed Arduino 1.0.2 from arduino.cc
2. Installed teensyduino from http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html
3. Edited boards.txt, vendor IDs and USB descriptors (but left avrdude as installed version is v5.10) as instructed here: http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/products/at ... 1302835337

In the IDE if I set the board to be a Teensy 2.0, the Advanced LED beltkit tutorial compiles, but fails to upload with this error:
Please press the RESET BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch. Auto-reboot only works if the Teensy is running a previous sketch.

Pressing reset in any combination of before or after 'upload' results in the same error. Tried with /dev/ttyACM0, ttyS0, ttyS1.

OK, so then tried switching to Atmega32u4. This results in compiler errors:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
In file included from /home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/wiring.h:32,
                 from /home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/WProgram.h:19,
                 from /home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/Arduino.h:1,
                 from /home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/libraries/SPI/SPI.h:15,
                 from advancedLEDbeltKit.pde:15:
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/core_pins.h:1914:4: error: #error "Clock must be 16, 8, 4, 2 or 1 MHz"
In file included from /home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/wiring.h:32,
                 from /home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/WProgram.h:19,
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/core_pins.h: In function ‘void delayMicroseconds(uint16_t)’:
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/core_pins.h:1916: error: ‘tmp’ was not declared in this scope
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/core_pins.h:1933: error: invalid lvalue in asm output 0
In file included from /home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/WProgram.h:25,
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/HardwareSerial.h: In member function ‘void HardwareSerial::begin(uint32_t, uint8_t)’:
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy/HardwareSerial.h:11: error: ‘null’ was not declared in this scope
In file included from advancedLEDbeltKit.pde:17:
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/libraries/TimerOne/TimerOne.h: In member function ‘void TimerOne::setPeriod(long unsigned int)’:
/home/chris/arduino-1.0.2/libraries/TimerOne/TimerOne.h:47: error: ‘null’ was not declared in this scope

Some kind of missing header file? Hope someone has seen this before.

Thanks,

Chris
grunthus

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.