There is no USPS pickup on Monday Feb 15th, 2016 because of President's Day. USPS orders placed after 11am EST Fri February 12th will go out Tuesday February 16. UPS orders will ship as normal.

Bad LED Strip
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bad LED Strip

by siliconkibou on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Guys...big fan of what you're doing here.

So recently bought stuff to whip together an Adalight setup. All in all, everything works great.

However, I've got one LED (about 4 positions from the end) that tends to flake out...showing the wrong colors, in a fairly consistent manner.

I've definitely got enough power (two 25 strands, powered by your 10V power adapter wired at the end of the first strand/beginning of second), and all the other LEDs both before and after this one work perfectly.

All signs seem to point to a defective LED/pixel.

Any thoughts? Should I request a replacement?

Thanks,

-Paul
siliconkibou

Re: Bad LED Strip

by pburgess on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 pm

Hi Paul,

Sure sounds like a dodgy pixel. If you'd like to try a quick fix first...give the affected pixel a firm pinch, if no change, try the same on the pixel before it. Could be a marginal solder connection that just needs to be coerced into place. If that helps out, you can try using a zip-tie to keep the pixel pinched, or cut away some of the rubber insulation on that pixel and touch it up with a soldering iron.

If that doesn't help, or if you'd simply prefer a more permanent fix, a replacement can be arranged. Email support@adafruit.com with your order number and a link to this thread and we'll get that taken care of.

pburgess

Re: Bad LED Strip

by siliconkibou on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks for the pointers. I've tried the steps you've suggested (short of disassembly/soldering) to no avail. Looks like a defective pixel for sure. I'll drop the support guys an email.

Thanks again...

-Paul
siliconkibou

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.