Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

SSD1306 no display
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

SSD1306 no display

by Dejecting on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Hello, I just got my OLED 128x54 SSD1306 display in today but I can't get it to display anything with my Netduino

I went through the tutorial tab on the product page from adafruit.com and I followed the wiring and instructions here : http://fabienroyer.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... -netduino/
Then I loaded up the sample project which I downloaded from link on that page, had to change firmware version of the project and the way the analoginputs (from the other samples) were coded since I'm using VS2012 with 4.2.0.2 firmware, then deployed and it deploys fine with no problems, BUT the OLED display never changes, doesn't even light up to a black color (stays black like no power has been applied to it). If I do breaks while it's running it breaks at various points in the code thus proving it is in fact running the code.

I tried both 3.3v and 5v in their respective pins but no change. I then re-worked all of the solder and I have what looks like pretty good joints (pictures are the best I could take), tried both 3.3v and 5v again, nothing. I also used my multimeter to make sure I didn't have any solder bridges and it checked out fine. I then moved to another breadboard and tried changing each of my jumper wires out, still nada.

The way it's wired up :
SSD1306 Data --> D11
SSD1306 Clk -- > D13
SSD1306 DC --> D8
SSD1306 Rst --> D9
SSD1306 CS --> D10
And then the power leads to 3v3 or 5v, and gnd to gnd
Attachments
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg (155.27 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
oled-solder1.jpg
oled-solder1.jpg (175.39 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Dejecting

Re: SSD1306 no display

by Dejecting on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 pm

Here is another picture of the Solder joints. One other thing to note though is that I am a complete noob with netduino and the hardware side of electronics, although I have been programming as a hobby for many years.
Attachments
oled-solder2.jpg
oled-solder2.jpg (98.82 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Dejecting

by Dejecting on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 am

ok so I've got power to it now, turns out the power lead I had was in fact bad. It powers on the sample program runs but it's pretty garbled. I can pretty much make it what it's trying to display, but some of the lines are shifted left/right or up/down or missing. When displaying the words on the screen they scroll across the screen from right to left and loop back around pretty fast, although they are only slightly garbled. I tried changing out all of my wires again with no luck. I'm on a first gen netduino board and I saw another post of a user with similar issues on an arduino board but his issue was not enough SRAM, I *believe* the netduino gen 1 rev B board has enough SRAM.
Dejecting

by Dejecting on Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:15 am

Ok I got it working finally... The sample code sets the SPI clock at 40000, changing this produced different garbled looks and I finally found one that worked at 20000 so it wasn't garbled but it was splitting the screen (top half of the screen was physically on the bottom and vice versa). In the end I had to build a new project, put only the adafruitssd1306.cs library and the code from the program.cs of the sample project in, and then wipe my netduino's deployment cache and re-deploy the clean project fresh. There were about a thousand other things I tried/did along the way but I'm pretty sure this is what actually ended up fixing the issue.

I use the SPI clock for something else in a project I'm working on which requires it to be set at 1000, setting it to 1000 is working fine for the SSD1306 but I was wondering what impact this has, if any?

That was a fun journey.

P.S. Real men Quadruple post. :lol:
Dejecting

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:56 am

Good work debugging that. Glad you figured it out. :D
Slowing down the SPI clock means communication with the display will take more time. But there is not much benefit to running it faster if the display can't keep up.

adafruit_support_bill

by Dejecting on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 am

Well it appears that I may have spoken too soon. It looks like I just got lucky when I ran it before.

When it was working I could deploy over and ever, board reboots after deploy, and it runs perfectly... Well I powered the board down for awhile, I come back, hook it back up to my USB port, and it wouldn't power on again. Checked all the wires, they were good. Checked for voltage at power leads with multimeter, checked out. Tried 3.3 and 5v, no luck, won't power on...

So I wiped the deployment sector off the netduino and deploy the project fresh again without changing a single bit of code, it turns on now but it is doing the same top on bottom/bottom on top problem. so I power the board down and power it back up and now only 20ish percent of the screen is rotated up to appear on the bottom. Power it off and on again and now it's shifted to the right at an angle and scrolling from right to left on the word display part of the sample code.

I'm at a loss at this point, don't know what to do. Any ideas?
Dejecting

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:59 am

Well I powered the board down for awhile, I come back, hook it back up to my USB port, and it wouldn't power on again.

So I wiped the deployment sector off the netduino and deploy the project fresh again without changing a single bit of code, it turns on now but it is doing the same top on bottom/bottom on top problem.

I hate problems like that: No change to code or wiring, yet it behaves differently. :? That is a problem I would post over at the Netduino forum. They are much more familiar with the inner workings of the Netduino platform than we are: forums.netduino.com

adafruit_support_bill

by Dejecting on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 pm

Just wanted to update on this

So I got my Netduino 2 today, upgraded to 4.3 firmware, hooked up my SSD1306 and deployed the same exact code and the screen is singing like a canary now (very nice FPS also)

Not sure why it doesn't like the Netduino 1 board, don't plan on trying to figure it out either, the Netduino 2 will do everything I need and then some so I'll just stick with that.
Dejecting

by Dejecting on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 am

So it turns out the netduino 2 was not the answer to the problem, it only makes it slightly better. I still randomly get the shifted display. Going to continue trying to get help from the guys at the netduino forum.

I may also try to run it in I2C, but I don't know how to do that yet, will need to look into it. Any pointers in this direction on the netduino would be great as well.
Dejecting

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.