Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Raspberry Pi and Pixel Qi 10" Display
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi and Pixel Qi 10" Display

by jakobkrainz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22 am

Hello.

I recently bought the Pixel Qi 10" Display with Controller ( http://www.adafruit.com/products/1303 ) and got it to work with a raspberry pi at native resolution, i.e. 1024x600.

Here is my config.txt, if anyone wants to do the same...

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
# uncomment if you get no picture on HDMI for a default "safe" mode
#hdmi_safe=1

# uncomment this if your display has a black border of unused pixels visible
# and your display can output without overscan
#disable_overscan=1

# uncomment the following to adjust overscan. Use positive numbers if console
# goes off screen, and negative if there is too much border
#overscan_left=16
#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
framebuffer_width=1024
framebuffer_height=600

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
#hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
hdmi_cvt=1024 600 60 3 0 0 0

# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force VGA)
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87

# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
#hdmi_drive=2

# uncomment to increase signal to HDMI, if you have interference, blanking, or
# no display
#config_hdmi_boost=4

# uncomment for composite PAL
#sdtv_mode=2

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=800

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
gpu_mem=16

The instructions are from http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24679 and http://elinux.org/RPiconfig - composing the above config.txt was pretty straightforward.

It would be cool to offer said display with another switch; (un)plugging a cable every time i want to switch between "with backlight" and "without backlight" is rather impractical, and i personally am more of a software person, that is i don't want to wire up a switch myself.

Also, please offer the display with either a different power supply, like for example one with a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug, or maybe offer it without any power supply - the one with the US plug is useless to me anyway.

jakobkrainz

Re: Raspberry Pi and Pixel Qi 10" Display

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for the information about configuration, I'm sure other people will find it useful in the future.

Your suggestion about the additional switch is interesting.. I'll mention it to the folks upstairs.

As for the power supply, that's essentially part of the product. "So many amps at so many volts" sounds easy, but the devil is in the details of switching harmonics, transient responses, and a dozen other things. We put a fair amount of effort into testing the power supplies we sell to make sure they work safely and reliably with the products that take power from them.

We sell a US-style plug because, well.. New York.. but we do have these for our European customers: http://www.adafruit.com/products/990 .
These are for folks in the UK: http://www.adafruit.com/products/989 ,
and these are for our Aussie friends: http://www.adafruit.com/products/991
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.

adafruit_support_mike

by jakobkrainz on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:26 am

Hi.

Thanks for the answer; I guess i should have included an adapter in my order.

Any news on the additional switch?

Alternatively, I could build that switch myself. Could you give me information on which pin(s) I
need to disconnect, e.g. a link to a description of the driver board?

Thanks in advance.

jakobkrainz

by adafruit on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Thanks, we've verified that your config.txt works natively! (someone else was asking about it)

for the switch, you can see the backlight connection has 5 wires and is on the opposite side of the board from the keycontroller. It seems that the blue/white wire can be used as a backlight control. We're not sure since we dont have any documentation about it but it could be that connecting that pin to ground or 3V would control the backlight on/off. you will have to remove the blue/white wires from the connector to do so. unfortunately we have no more information

adafruit

by dtagt on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:50 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi Model B running the latest Wheezy and a the Pixel Qi 10" display. I have run
rpi-update
with apparent success but after rebooting I can't make it work with the settings specified above. As you confirmed that it works "natively", I don't know what I am doing wrong.

This is what I see (HDMI cable is good and is connected between RPi and the display controller before power-on):
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# tvservice -m DMT
Group DMT has 0 modes:
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# tvservice -m CEA
Group CEA has 0 modes:
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# tvservice -s
state 0x120016 [DVI CEA (4) RGB lim 16:9], 1280x720 @ 60Hz, progressive
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #545 PREEMPT Fri Sep 20 23:57:55 BST 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux

The Pixel Qi shows "No Signal" and shuts down no matter what I try. If I boot with an empty config.txt the output of
tvservice -s
is the same (1280x720). Is the controller of the Qi is reporting bogus values?
dtagt

by jakobkrainz on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:32 pm

dtagt wrote:I have a Raspberry Pi Model B running the latest Wheezy and a the Pixel Qi 10" display. I have run
rpi-update
with apparent success but after rebooting I can't make it work with the settings specified above. As you confirmed that it works "natively", I don't know what I am doing wrong.

That's surprising. I'll try
rpi-update
this weekend myself, and if I find a solution i will post it here.

dtagt wrote: If I boot with an empty config.txt the output of
tvservice -s
is the same (1280x720). Is the controller of the Qi is reporting bogus values?

Yes, the controller doesn't report the true resolution of the display. Instead, it reports as supported all strange kinds of television SD and HD resolutions.
You have to enforce using the native 1024x600 resolution.

You might also have a different display controller board. If i get around, i will post details on the board i have (except if the adafruit guys are able to confirm that all the controller boards are indeed identical).

jakobkrainz

by jakobkrainz on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi. Sorry for the delay, I had other stuff to do...

I just updated my raspbian, and ran rpi-update, and it still works.

However, I did uncomment the line
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

in the config.txt file.

That may be the change you need to get your raspberry pi working again.
AFAICT, this setting forces the rpi to simply ignore the hdmi modes that the
connected device will offer. In the case of the pixel qi display controller, this is the
appropriate thing to do. It also fixes the bug i had that sometimes the resolution will
not be the one specified but some different resolution.

I hope this helps.

jakobkrainz

by JoannaK on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Hello. I know that this is an old thread, but I just got this Pixel QI 10" display and have modified the config.txt as explained on this message chain. I'm using the latest Noobs/Raspian with no updates. At the moment I've plans to use this with Pi and wireless mouse+kb to make kinda OLPA.

Display looks realy good, but there seems to be some kind of glitch, since the on screen menus of the display claims the resolution to720*480*60Hz ..

While tvservice -s returns (typos mine)
CVI DMT (87) rgb full 16;9, 1024*600 @ 60Hz ...

So either the display controller gives wrong info or the Pi ain't doing things right?

Addendum: Does anyone know if it's possible to add touch screen atop of this display? Some day I'd like to test this display on some later date with Banana Pi to run Android..
JoannaK

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.