Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Caution on Neopixel Stick - 8 x WS2812 5050 part 1426
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Caution on Neopixel Stick - 8 x WS2812 5050 part 1426

by clarkj on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:43 pm

All: If you use this part in a manner where it is subjected to any movement of the wires you attach, please be sure to provide for some form of strain relief on the wires. Some of the boards, including the one I got, don't have really good pad adhesion, and can easily have the pad ripped off. (Fortunately, I'll be able to work around it -- but I have a lot of experience.)

I've been soldering stuff for 45+ years, so am hardly a newbie at it. :) I did not get the pads to the point of what I would consider to be excessive heat/time when soldering. I also know, from long experience, that with virtually all PCB manufacturers, a panel will sneak through that doesn't have the best of pad adhesion.

Constructive note to Adafruit Engineering: I would advocate that whenever you have a pad that you expect the customers to solder to you be careful that it has one or more through-plated holes, if nothing else to help avoid this problem. In this case, I'd check with the PCB house and find out the smallest via size they can do (without raising costs) and put maybe two at each end of the pad. The vias will add significantly to the strength of the pads, even if they only go to a tiny spot on the other side of the board. (Holes for through-hole mounting of wires, etc., are great when you have room -- likely not possible on this product.) While I'm on the subject, they can also add greatly to the strength for things like USB connectors.

clarkj

Re: Caution on Neopixel Stick - 8 x WS2812 5050 part 1426

by adafruit on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Thanks, we'll check this out on the next PCB revision. in the meantime, use the mounting holes

adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.