2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
User avatar
monroerl
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: 2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

Post by monroerl »

Yup, Just received my PiTFT 2.8 for a Pi B+. Soldered up just fine using a 100 million zillion magnifying glass. Went through https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... rry-pi/faq tutorial three times (up to the software install part). I upgraded the deb as the tutorial suggests using the newest Rasbian (July 2014). Typed in the million lines of code on a tiny keyboard (it was so much fun). I got the TFT screen to go from white to black. I also got the screen to respond to touch commands where it acted like a mouse for me on the TV screen.

The problem is that the TFT screen is just black. Nothing but plain ole black. The touch part works but no cute screen.

The part about mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~ doesn't work at the root console. The file is there but it won't let me move that file. I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or that is for other versions of Rasbians. The warning wording is slightly confusing for my little mind.

Everything seems to install perfectly until the

sudo modprobe spi-bcm2708
sudo modprobe fbtft_device name=adafruitts rotate=90
export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
startx

Once I finish that part of the tutorial, the Pi is rebooted and my TV shows the Pi background but the TFT is just black. That is the part I've repeated several times from start to finish. The box the screen was shipped in was busted up but I figured since the screen did go from white to black and the touch portion worked, it must be something else. Any suggestions?

User avatar
adafruit2
 
Posts: 22060
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: 2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

Post by adafruit2 »

monroerl wrote:Yup, Just received my PiTFT 2.8 for a Pi B+. Soldered up just fine using a 100 million zillion magnifying glass. Went through https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... rry-pi/faq tutorial three times (up to the software install part). I upgraded the deb as the tutorial suggests using the newest Rasbian (July 2014). Typed in the million lines of code on a tiny keyboard (it was so much fun). I got the TFT screen to go from white to black. I also got the screen to respond to touch commands where it acted like a mouse for me on the TV screen.

The problem is that the TFT screen is just black. Nothing but plain ole black. The touch part works but no cute screen.

The part about mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~ doesn't work at the root console. The file is there but it won't let me move that file. I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or that is for other versions of Rasbians. The warning wording is slightly confusing for my little mind.

Everything seems to install perfectly until the

sudo modprobe spi-bcm2708
sudo modprobe fbtft_device name=adafruitts rotate=90
export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
startx

Once I finish that part of the tutorial, the Pi is rebooted and my TV shows the Pi background but the TFT is just black. That is the part I've repeated several times from start to finish. The box the screen was shipped in was busted up but I figured since the screen did go from white to black and the touch portion worked, it must be something else. Any suggestions?
just for fun, can you try displaying an image using fbi, its the 'displaying images' tutorial?

User avatar
monroerl
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:40 pm

Re: 2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

Post by monroerl »

Oh yes, I am able to display an image. I can actually get the display to work with Raspbian but no other distro. I bought the display to add visual portability to my Pi. It appears Ada Fruit doesn't support any other Linux distro, which is a shame since this isn't mentioned until late into the tutorial. If Raspbian is official operating system of the Pi, why are there mods and projects available that use other OSs? Have you folks taken a page out of Microsoft's playbook and just figured that you would omit the part about not supporting other images or Linux distros?

I feel cheated by Ada Fruit's failure to support the Raspberry Pi as a computer. Linux is about open source and creative building. If I wanted to be stuck in a single OS I would have purchased an Apple product. What exactly do you folks mean by "Raspbian Derivative"? Raspbian is based on Debian but the display doesn't support Debian. Kali is based on Debian but your display doesn't support it either. Is this a deliberate attempt to keep Pi owners from using other OS's and what purpose would that serve? I can think of a few such as laziness on behalf of Ada Fruit to support their products. The first web page for this 2.8 screen should read "Warning, this screen only supports Raspbian and Ada Fruit will not provide any technical or educational instruction for other projects using this screen." It does mention a lack of support but that is tucked away several pages into the Advanced Installation segment.

User avatar
diceccoj
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:24 am

Re: 2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

Post by diceccoj »

Same problem. Pi B+ running Debian Wheezy screens goes white to black, no display. I have an SD with NOOBS and can display from that distro but no joy on Wheezy. Lame.

User avatar
adafruit2
 
Posts: 22060
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: 2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

Post by adafruit2 »

monroerl wrote:Yup, Just received my PiTFT 2.8 for a Pi B+. Soldered up just fine using a 100 million zillion magnifying glass. Went through https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... rry-pi/faq tutorial three times (up to the software install part). I upgraded the deb as the tutorial suggests using the newest Rasbian (July 2014). Typed in the million lines of code on a tiny keyboard (it was so much fun). I got the TFT screen to go from white to black. I also got the screen to respond to touch commands where it acted like a mouse for me on the TV screen.

The problem is that the TFT screen is just black. Nothing but plain ole black. The touch part works but no cute screen.

The part about mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~ doesn't work at the root console. The file is there but it won't let me move that file. I'm not sure if that is part of the problem or that is for other versions of Rasbians. The warning wording is slightly confusing for my little mind.

Everything seems to install perfectly until the

sudo modprobe spi-bcm2708
sudo modprobe fbtft_device name=adafruitts rotate=90
export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
startx

Once I finish that part of the tutorial, the Pi is rebooted and my TV shows the Pi background but the TFT is just black. That is the part I've repeated several times from start to finish. The box the screen was shipped in was busted up but I figured since the screen did go from white to black and the touch portion worked, it must be something else. Any suggestions?
if you can display an image with 'fbi' the PiTFT is working fine
You need to type in "sudo mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~"
then try running startx again - that file has to be removed, it's keeping X from running.

User avatar
adafruit2
 
Posts: 22060
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: 2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

Post by adafruit2 »

diceccoj wrote:Same problem. Pi B+ running Debian Wheezy screens goes white to black, no display. I have an SD with NOOBS and can display from that distro but no joy on Wheezy. Lame.
Hi please start a new thread, if you can try displaying an image with 'fbi' in that part of the tutorial, and explaining what speicifically fails that would help in the new thread!
Also - we have a ready-to-go Raspbian image - you can always just try that :)

User avatar
adafruit2
 
Posts: 22060
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:36 pm

Re: 2.8" TFT touchscreen touch not working on Model B+

Post by adafruit2 »

monroerl wrote:Oh yes, I am able to display an image. I can actually get the display to work with Raspbian but no other distro. I bought the display to add visual portability to my Pi. It appears Ada Fruit doesn't support any other Linux distro, which is a shame since this isn't mentioned until late into the tutorial. If Raspbian is official operating system of the Pi, why are there mods and projects available that use other OSs? Have you folks taken a page out of Microsoft's playbook and just figured that you would omit the part about not supporting other images or Linux distros?

I feel cheated by Ada Fruit's failure to support the Raspberry Pi as a computer. Linux is about open source and creative building. If I wanted to be stuck in a single OS I would have purchased an Apple product. What exactly do you folks mean by "Raspbian Derivative"? Raspbian is based on Debian but the display doesn't support Debian. Kali is based on Debian but your display doesn't support it either. Is this a deliberate attempt to keep Pi owners from using other OS's and what purpose would that serve? I can think of a few such as laziness on behalf of Ada Fruit to support their products. The first web page for this 2.8 screen should read "Warning, this screen only supports Raspbian and Ada Fruit will not provide any technical or educational instruction for other projects using this screen." It does mention a lack of support but that is tucked away several pages into the Advanced Installation segment.
The kernel module source code is on github
https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-raspberrypi-linux
and we have .deb files that can be extracted and 'manually installed' onto other Linuxes
However, we dont have a tutorial for anything but raspbian - other OS's will work but the kernel needs to be patched and compiled. Right now we are focussing on the official open source operating system for Raspberry Pi

Locked
Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”