Soda Bottle Preforms & Other Containers for Genesis Poi POV
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Soda Bottle Preforms & Other Containers for Genesis Poi POV

by pburgess on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Because eBay vendors and Amazon affiliates and their stock may come and go, I intentionally avoided linking to any specific source for compatible "soda bottle preforms" mentioned in the Genesis POV project...this would quickly become an endless "whack-a-mole" game of checking sources and keeping links up to date. Also not wanting to endorse any specific source whose service is an unknown, might be expensive to send to other countries, etc.

Instead, if you've found a currently-available source for correctly-sized preforms, or if you have suggestions for alternate containers that work with the 3D printed parts, feel free to post here. By reading the posts here from last to first (reverse chronological) other readers then have a best shot at finding something that can be successfully purchased to complete the project.
Last edited by pburgess on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pburgess

Re: Soda Bottle Preforms and Other Containers for Genesis Po

by pburgess on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:22 pm

So, for example, I bought my soda bottle preforms in May 2015 from this link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151691505809
Downside is that they ONLY offer these in a pack of 30, not in onesy-twosey fashion (as mentioned in the guide, I'd originally picked these up for small parts storage).

I may occasionally test small soda and water bottles that look promising, and will post any such results here.

pburgess

Re: Soda Bottle Preforms & Other Containers for Genesis Poi

by ebola0 on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Haven't bought them yet but planning to, these are 145mm inside length (150mm external), 10 for a 6 pack with 7 dollars shipping

http://www.amazon.com/25mm-150mm-Polyca ... BQA0YE9WD0

do these look compatible? will the 3d insert be sliding up and down inside since its longer than 130mm?

ebola0

by pburgess on Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:55 pm

Looks encouraging. Appears that they're slightly larger both in length and girth, but the bottle opening should be the same diameter...the edge of the insert should catch on this and not fall in.

pburgess

by Snarltoof on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 am

I'm fabricating my bodies out of white pex tubing, available in 5' lengths or 100' coils in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" internal diameters. It's easy to cut it to length and it's really durable, and as a bonus it is a great diffuser for the LEDs. I just seal the ends with a huge glob of clear hot glue. I've been focused on my fan projects, but I'm excited about making a set of poi!!

Snarltoof

by pburgess on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:42 am

Okay, here's a couple of canonical solutions I can offer:

If searching Amazon or eBay, you’ll almost certainly encounter one or more sellers offering these preforms from Geocaching Super Center. These are equivalent to the ones I used, and the 3D-printed insert fits perfectly:
geocache.jpg
geocache.jpg (35.29 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

And as an easily-sourced alternative, these wee 12 ounce (355 ml) soda bottles work great (Coke, Pepsi and a few others offer this size…I think Dasani water as well):
soda.jpg
soda.jpg (54.79 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

You’ll need to do a little scrubbing to get the label completely removed, and clip the anti-tamper ring off the neck. The extra air space makes these less lethal on impact, so they’re better for beginners.

pburgess

by Snarltoof on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:41 am

I used PEX tubing for my poi, and they came out great!

Let me know if you want more details...

Snarltoof

by Metasyntactic on Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:46 pm

Snarltoof wrote:I used PEX tubing for my poi, and they came out great!

Let me know if you want more details...

Where did you end up getting your tubing and how did you seal it off? Also, are you having trouble with the diffusion messing with the resolution of images?

Metasyntactic

by Metasyntactic on Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:21 pm

A thought occurred to me. If I use PEX tubing, there's no reason I can't make the design and extra two inches long and use the Lithium Ion Cylindrical Battery - 3.7v 2200mAh ( https://www.adafruit.com/products/1781) instead of the Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 150mAh (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1317) right? I mean, they diameter of the cylindrical battery is roughly the same as the width of the other. It'd require a different 3D printed insert and probably rearranging the electronics. Any thoughts?

Metasyntactic

by pburgess on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:05 pm

Totally possible, yeah. This, plus a much beefier microcontroller, is basically the foundation for the Supernova poi.

If you do add a larger battery (500 mA or more), solder the charge rate jumper on the back of the LiPoly backpack to top off the battery more quickly.

pburgess

by Snarltoof on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:15 pm

I do use cylindrical batteries in my poi that are housed in the pex tubing.

I ended up plugging the end opening with hot glue.

Snarltoof

by Snarltoof on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:51 pm

More details -- I got the pex tubing at a local hardware store (Menards).

Here's a picture of the inside of of the poi with two LED strips and three 14550 batteries wired together in series, NOT parallel. Image

Snarltoof

by Metasyntactic on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Snarltoof wrote:More details -- I got the pex tubing at a local hardware store (Menards).

Here's a picture of the inside of of the poi with two LED strips and three 14550 batteries wired together in series, NOT parallel. Image

This is not the image you are looking for. Move along. :)

Metasyntactic

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.