Electronic Animated Eyes using Teensy 3.1
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Electronic Animated Eyes using Teensy 3.1

by Eichohrkater on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

I get the Adafruit Logo at start and the eye is absolutely normally moving and blinking, just very very dark.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (74.85 KiB) Viewed 76 times

Eichohrkater

by pburgess on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Eichohrkater wrote:the eye is absolutely normally moving and blinking, just very very dark.

Peculiar! I think this is a defect of the OLED. mail support@adafruit.com with a link to this post, they'll ship a replacement #1431.

pburgess

by prairietech on Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Phillip, I've been building your project using the OLED with great success until recently.

The last batch of 3 SSD1351 I just got do strange things. The eye displays properly but every once in a while the eye will have a flicker or tearing in just part of the image. Swapped the OLED for TFT and works great. Have tried different Teensy and different power supplies with the same result.

Maybe Adafruit had a bad run of OLEDs?

prairietech

by prairietech on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Just soldered up the other two displays I received yesterday and one is dead. The other will display the eye with 3 narrow black lines running horizontal through the middle of the display. Also checked the seven other OLED displays I bought back in September for this project. They too have various issues. Looks like Adafruit has some production issues with the 128x128 OLEDs.

prairietech

by pburgess on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:40 pm

Occasional flicker usually just means the SPI data rata is a bit too fast for the display…you can dial this back a bit in the code. Make sure also that you’re not running the Teensy at the 96 MHz setting…for OLED, the board needs to be kept at 72 MHz. One other possible factor has to do with the connections…headers and jumper wires tend to introduce a little bit of slop into the signals, whereas direct-soldered wires end to end are usually much cleaner.

For the displays exhibiting more serious problems, try running the more “vanilla” graphics examples included with the SSD1351 library and see if there’s any change (the eye code is doing some pretty intense stuff). Also may be worth checking for solder balls or similar, please feel free to post any photos if you’d like an extra pair of eyes (pun not intended) to look for any trouble there. We can exchange any that are still acting up.

pburgess

by prairietech on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:56 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I am running at 72MHz but where in the code can this be dialed back?

My concern is I have built several of these over the years with perfect results. It's only been since my last purchase in Sept 2018 that I started noticing problems. 7 out of 10 OLED displays are not working properly. I can swap displays, ribbon cables, Teensy and the display problem always stays with the individual display and not it's position connected to the Teensy.

prairietech

by pburgess on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 pm

In config.h, look for where SPI_FREQ is defined. Default is 24 MHz on Teensy, 12 MHz on most everything else. Try 12 in the Teensy case as well.

pburgess

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.