Neopixel strips does not light up with power from PSU but do

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
harald25

Neopixel strips does not light up with power from PSU but do

Post by harald25 »

Hi.
I've wired up 2x 5m Neopixel strips to a computer PSU.
The two strips are connected to two separate 5V and GND, and my Arduino UNO also has a separate 5V + GND.
(I believe all the GND connectors fuse together inside the PSU, so that they are in fact all connected to common ground)

When I switch on the PSU, nothing happens. Except the "on" LED on the Arduino lights up.
If I connect a USB to the Arduino, but keeping everything else the same (power from PSU to neopixels), they all light up!
I'm confused as to what I might be doing wrong. Why isn't anything working when I try to power the Arduino with my PSU?

PS: I'm quite new to electronics, so I would appreciate noob friendly answers ;)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Neopixel strips does not light up with power from PSU bu

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It is not a good idea to rely on the power supply ground for controlling pixel strands. There is a lot of current flowing through that ground wire so there is likely to be a voltage drop which will affect your signal reference.

The best way to do it is to run power to the strip, then run +5v and GND from the strip back to the Arduino. The Arduino current oad i very small, so the voltage drop will be insignificant.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”