supernova vs. genesis poi

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sahrye

supernova vs. genesis poi

Post by sahrye »

There are two Persistence of Vision Poi tutorials Supernova - https://learn.adafruit.com/supernova-poi and Genesis -
https://learn.adafruit.com/genesis-poi- ... vision-poi
They both use dotstar, the Genesis uses trinket and the Supernova uses Teensy. I'm trying to decide which ones I should build. I'm fairly new to poi and have been taking classes and practicing for about 6 months. I can use the Arduino IDE and have been able to use the adafruit libraries but do not know Python (although I have access to Python users and can bribe them with booze). I am very good at soldering small fiddly things.
Recommendations for which one would be a good first poi project?

pburgess

Re: supernova vs. genesis poi

Post by pburgess »

The Genesis poi require a 3D printer for the inserts and caps...so, depending whether you have access to that, might be a deal-breaker right there (or not).

Difficulty of assembly and image conversion is pretty similar for both. So it's mostly a matter of budget...the Genesis Poi use lower-cost components, smaller images, shorter run time. Supernova Poi have a ginormous battery and extra bells & whistles like the IR remote and 24-bit image support.

Or do both. :) Even if you have a set of the jumbo poi, one nice thing about the small ones is that they're purse- or cargo-shorts-pocket-sized.

sahrye

Post by sahrye »

Thanks for the response, good points.

Metasyntactic

Post by Metasyntactic »

It's also worth noting that there are certain weaves you just won't be able to do with the supernova. Wraps come to mind. If you're just doing a butterfly or a 3 beat then the supernova are fine, but some of the other moves become more difficult or impossible with the longer rigid body and the change in center of weight.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”