NOOB HELP - 144 LED RGBW 1 meter

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
johnplacenet

NOOB HELP - 144 LED RGBW 1 meter

Post by johnplacenet »

Hello. I am SUPER New at this. like 4 hours new. lol
really i just need to know the exact parts to make this 1 meter strip.
im sure its super easy for you guys, but can you please give me a parts list. OR I am willing to buy this setup from someone. I really dont want to learn to program these. I would love to just have a kit ready to go.

I want to use the 144 LED RBGW 1 meter.

I Hope that makes since.

I want something like the links below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBWmYc__aM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNn0ah1kVOE

caitlinsdad

Re: NOOB HELP - 144 LED RGBW 1 meter

Post by caitlinsdad »

It looks like a neopixel strip(144 neopixel LED elements per meter density) wired up to an arduino and power supply. It's running the standard demo program to light up the neopixels.

You can take your pick of Arduinos to include Gemma and Trinket as your microcontroller and USB or battery pack for power. There are tutorials and sample code to get everything set up.

johnplacenet

Post by johnplacenet »

Thanks,

I get what your saying, but i am just overwhelmed with all of the choices. i was searching for hours last night and still not sure what to get.
Is there any way you could list the parts and the links. that would help me so much. thank you in advance.

I really want to just buy the parts, put it together and turn it on.

I know I want to use:
1. https://www.adafruit.com/products/2847 • NeoPixel Digital RGBW LED Strip - White PCB 144 LED/m - 1m -
2. POWER? LINK
3. Controller or micro computer? LINK
4. any connectors or wires or other parts i will need? LINKS

Thanks again for any help.

caitlinsdad

Post by caitlinsdad »

I get the feeling you might be better served by looking for a light up LED strip that has controller with preprogrammed light animation sequences.

This stuff is "hobby electronics" where you get parts to hack and mash together. It will still take effort to hook up all the components, wiring which may include soldering, setting up the programming interface on your computer, and loading the programs onto your new controller board. A full size Arduino UNO board is a great starting point to learn about all this. If you were not going into this with the notion of learning about electronics and were hoping only for something that works when you plug it in, you will be frustrated at your box of parts.

johnplacenet

Post by johnplacenet »

I know electronics I've been building wiring harnesses for aircraft for my whole life. I can figure out the coding. I just don't know which parts to but to put this together. I have MANY led strips from different companies but I need the Noepixels for a specific project. I'm just asking for a list of the components needed so in not buying the wrong parts and then re buying and spending more.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”