High pitched squeal from 12v EL inverter

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vonnieda

High pitched squeal from 12v EL inverter

Post by vonnieda »

Order: 1083701-7626328407
Product: 12V EL wire/tape inverter[ID:448]
Running: 1x Electroluminescent (EL) Panel - 10cm x 10cm White[ID:625]

Powered up w/ 12v from regulated bench supply. Makes a very loud, high pitched squeal. Seems to be working fine, but the noise is pretty brutal. Easily heard across the room. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Jason

adafruit_support_bill

Re: High pitched squeal from 12v EL inverter

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

El inverters do tend to be noisy. They need to convert low-voltage DC into high voltage AC (generally >100v at 1KHz-2KHz). The resulting magnetic oscillations generate audible noise.

On a bench, there is not much to absorb the whine. Depending on the application, you can usually attenuate the noise by enclosing or otherwise muffling the inverter.

vonnieda

Post by vonnieda »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:El inverters do tend to be noisy. They need to convert low-voltage DC into high voltage AC (generally >100v at 1KHz-2KHz). The resulting magnetic oscillations generate audible noise.

On a bench, there is not much to absorb the whine. Depending on the application, you can usually attenuate the noise by enclosing or otherwise muffling the inverter.
Thanks for the response. This is my first EL inverter and it is a lot louder than I expected it to be. Like, if I were in the same room with it for several minutes I'd be pretty annoyed.

adafruit_support_bill

Yes, it is at an annoying frequency too. Driving the 10x10 panel it is running at maximum output. I usually try to build them into an enclosure of some sort with some foam to absorb the sound.

VP_Engr

Post by VP_Engr »

Inverter p/n 448 installed 18 Jan 2018 w/ 10x10 EL, switch, 12V 1A adapter p/n 798 for back-lit icons on glass. What density of foam works best to muffle whine? Any suggested size of enclosure to provide enough attenuation? Does reversing the polarity of AC Adapter into the Inverter have any effect on whine, or is it a bad thing to do?

Can a longer lead from the EL or from the Inverter be provided so the inverter can be mounted inside the back box instead of on the back of the glass?

adafruit_support_bill

Reversing polarity is not a good idea. That would most likely be fatal to the inverter.

To attenuate the sound, a rigid-walled total enclosure works best. Size is not critical. Just large enough for the inverter wrapped in a layer of foam will do.
Low-to-medium density foam stuffing will help to attenuate the sound in the box - as well as isolate the vibrations of the inverter from the walls of the enclosure.

You can extend the cable to the EL wire to mount the inverter remotely. You can either splice extra wire to the existing cable, or use an extension like this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/616

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”