Serial Monitor fails in setup( ) on CP Classic
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Serial Monitor fails in setup( ) on CP Classic

by tkinsman on Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm running a two week seminar for 25 kids, using Circuit Playground classics.

The last two weeks I have had two symptoms I have never noticed before:
1. The Serial.print( ) statements in setup() do not work. So, I cannot tell what is happening in the setup( ) routine.
2. The IDE constantly forgets which USB port I am using, and I have to keep reseting it.

I use the CP Classic, with version 1.6.10 of Arduino.cc IDE, on a MacOSX MacBook pro.

Does anyone else have these issues? I'm thinking that over the course of a week, this might drive me crazy if I cannot resolve it.

tkinsman

Re: Serial Monitor fails in setup( ) on CP Classic

by franklin97355 on Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am

Where are you starting the serial function? Each CP could have a different comport on each USB port but if you plug it into the same USB port a CP should get the same port as last time.

franklin97355

Re: Serial Monitor fails in setup( ) on CP Classic

by tkinsman on Thu May 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Partial solution to the problem "The IDE constantly forgets which USB port I am using, and I have to keep reseting it."

About four weeks ago I tested the alternative USB driver for low-cost Arduino Uno's, and needed to install the driver for the CH43x chipset (instead of the usual USB driver system). This driver seems to have be interfering with how the Arduino IDE was finding the USB port for the CircuitPlayground.

I disabled the driver by changing the name of the directory in /System/... and the IDE now remembers the USB connection for the board.

I have not tested the Serial.print( ) command yet, but I am happy that I don't need to keep setting which USB port to use.

tkinsman

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.