Neopixel problems on many circuit playgrounds
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixel problems on many circuit playgrounds

by maggiedelano on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 am

Hello there,

I currently use the Adafruit circuit playgrounds for a course I am teaching. We've been using them for several years and ordering new ones as needed and have never had any problems. We have 56 students in our class this year and I've found at least 8 circuit playgrounds that seem to have some problems with the neopixels to varying degrees. In some cases, multiple neopixels are dead. In other cases, one or more channels of one or more neopixels are dead (so e.g. only red). At first I thought this was an isolated incident, but like I said it has happened with at least 8 boards. I have tried reprogramming the playgrounds, including in bootloader mode, to no success. It's not clear whether the neopixels broke as a result of a student using them in an odd way or if they were broken "out of the box." Given that in previous years we've had zero issues and this year we've had 8, I am wondering if it is a manufacturing problem or some new bug in the software.

Can you please provide suggestions for further diagnosing or fixing these boards? If not, we'll plan to return them.

Thanks!
Maggie

maggiedelano

Re: Neopixel problems on many circuit playgrounds

by adafruit2 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:26 pm

can you tell me what exact part number this is - we sell a few different types :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

by maggiedelano on Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Ah right. We're using the adafruit circuit playground classics. RevC1. Let me know if you need any other information, thanks for your help.

maggiedelano

by adafruit2 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:34 pm

Ok please email support@adafruit for 8 new CPC's - we dont need the old ones back, you could use them for some project that doesn't need LEDs?

adafruit2
Site Admin

by maggiedelano on Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Sounds great, thanks for your help.

maggiedelano

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.