Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Arduino MKR WiFI 101 wireless behavior
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Arduino MKR WiFI 101 wireless behavior

by regisd on Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:44 pm

I've got a bunch of students working with Arduino MKR WiFi 1010 boards, but some of the areas they're working with them have mediocre 2.4GHz wifi connectivity. I looked at the WiFiNiNA library reference page and I don't see a way to modify the actual wifi behavior (adjust power, control band choice). Is there any way to do this? The overall wifi profile gives preference to 5G clients, somewhat at the expense of some 2.5G clients, and we can modify it in specific areas if needed but it would be preferable to be able to modify the behavior of the Arduino since it's more moveable than a given AP. Thanks!

regisd

Re: Arduino MKR WiFI 101 wireless behavior

by mikeysklar on Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:34 pm

@regisd,

Looking the the WiFiNINA library methods I do see a noLowPowerMode():

WiFi.noLowPowerMode()

Disables the power saving modes enabled with lowPowerMode(). This is the default status of Power Mode.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/WiF ... wPowerMode

You could check the RSSI value from scanNetworks() before and after calling this and see if it makes a difference.

Make sure you are providing sufficient power to the board. Are you using a 1000mAH or greater LiPo or are they running off USB?

mikeysklar

Re: Arduino MKR WiFI 101 wireless behavior

by regisd on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:02 am

Thank you! I'd missed that when I was looking at the docs. It looks like this is enabled by default, but if any of the folks are enabling low power, I can suggest they use this instead.

regisd

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.