Air Quality Sensor

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chadwicksavage

Air Quality Sensor

Post by chadwicksavage »

I really just need a starting point. I've seen some projects online that had lists of components and code and everything needed but the components aren't for sale anymore. What I'm trying to do is build a small air quality sensor that just detects CO2 levels and NO2 levels as well as GPS tags it, then uploads it using the gspread app to populate in a google sheet. I would need it to run off a usb charger or some outside source so that it could be used remotely. I guess it could use the wall charger if it was car mounted with an in car outlet. If there are any projects out there that are similar I would love to see them. Thanks.

Chad

Franklin97355

Re: Air Quality Sensor

Post by Franklin97355 »

From Google, what parts are you planning to use and how do you want to collect the data?

chadwicksavage

Post by chadwicksavage »

I've found several of those. For the price of building one, getting my hands on the clarity (clarity.io) for 90 dollars would be cheaper. I'm more interested in CO2 emissions so I would probably use http://www.co2meter.com/collections/co2 ... sor-module which has been successfully integrated into the raspberry pi. Eventually I would want to take the CO2 sensor and connect it to a car's power outlet in the back (my car has one) through an AC converter and add a gps module. Then import those readings with GPS tags into ArcGIS and create a map of CO2 levels everywhere I've driven. Then I would like to have all my students build one during our JanTerm (1 class all day for 3 weeks) and create a map of Atlanta. Then see if that was expandable through my GIS graduate program. So as far as part are concerned, the above mentioned sensor and I reckon a raspberry pi and gps module. Possibly integrate with windows IoT program. Data would have to be held locally then uploaded via wifi using gspread to populate in a google sheet that could be exported to csv file. Our parking lot has wifi at school so that could happen as soon as the students pulled on campus.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Most of that sounds possible. You might start with an Arduino CO2 sensor and a logger shield. You could also add a GPS shield for position.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”