MicroBit - First impressions

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chrisguy

MicroBit - First impressions

Post by chrisguy »

Micro:Bit overview
Micro:Bit overview
microbit-overview.jpg (132.99 KiB) Viewed 306 times
I just received the two Micro-Bits Go Bundles (Adafruit product 3362) I ordered so I thought I'd share my first impressions.

First I'm impressed with the quality, packaging and ease of getting it to work.
All I needed to do was install the batteries in the holder and plug it in, the default interactive program started running right away.

I went to the web site to start some programming for the board. The site has many different editors you can use from blocks to Python so there is something for all ages. The latest editor (block and Java) seem to allow access to all the features including the Bluetooth radios. The simulator on the web site is good for testing most code, just movement is hard with a mouse.

I gave it to my kids to play with (11 & 14) and they really got in to the block programming quickly. They were full of ideas and wanted to try everything. They wanted to get the two units talking to each other to play a game. I was impressed.

The price point, $16.50 USD, is low enough that getting one for each student should be possible, parents may need to chip in, $5 - $10 for those that can afford it, and introduce the students to programming and electronics at an early age. There are many course material ideas on the site to get the students going.

All in all I give this kit a big thumbs up as an impressive teaching aide.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”