Battery life of lithium battery needed for accelerometer and

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shalinicoutinho

Battery life of lithium battery needed for accelerometer and

Post by shalinicoutinho »

Hi! I am a consultant and I am working on a project right now where I am trying to find out the amount of shocks a package bears when it is being shipped from a business to a customer. For this, I plan to use an accelerometer and a data logger. I looked at your products "ADAFRUIT LIS3DH TRIPLE-AXIS ACCELEROMETER (+-2G/4G/8G/16G)" and "ADAFRUIT FEATHER 32U4 ADALOGGER" for the same. But the lithium battery "Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v" is just 500mAh. For my project the shipping time of that container may range from 3-5days, so the accelerometer and data logger will need to be working for the entire duration. I want to know if the battery life will let the accelerometer and data logger survive that long. If not, is there another battery that can do this?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Battery life of lithium battery needed for accelerometer

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The LIS3DH needs 11uA in 'normal' mode and has some low power options as low as 2uA. The Adalogger is going to draw a lot more current than that in normal operation. The exact amount depends on the SD card used. SD card write operations can take 80-100mA during the write.

There are a number of low-power options for the 32U4 processor. One approach is to put the processor into a low-power 'sleep' mode and configure the LIS3DH to generate an interrupt based on some acceleration threshold. That way you would only need to write to the card when there is a significant event.

Optimizing for low-power logging is an exercise in diminishing returns. There are some relatively simple things that will make a big difference. But chasing the last few micro-amps can require a lot of testing and experimentation. There are a few threads on the subject here and on the Arduino forums.

We stock plenty of Lipo cells in sizes up to 6600mAh. That would easily get you through 5 days with minimal optimization.

shalinicoutinho

Post by shalinicoutinho »

Thank you. Also, does the above data logger record the data in csv format or something? or do I need to enter in some code?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There is some example code for light and temperature logging. You will need to modify it a bit to log the accelerometer data.

Also, the example code does not implement any of the power saving optimizations.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”