Way to track Poi movement and project it

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tfedwards

Way to track Poi movement and project it

Post by tfedwards »

Hi All,

I am wanting to capture the movement of a Poi. Here is a video of what I am hoping to do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_9kzZ9wI4Y

I want to be able to track a person using the Poi and project that movement in real time. Any advice that you could provide would be amazing!
Thanks!
Todd

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Way to track Poi movement and project it

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Non-trivial. You would need special motion-capture hardware. Nothing you could do with an Arduino.

tfedwards

Post by tfedwards »

I have a kinects camera and the projection equipment. I should have been more specific. Sorry. Is there a sensor that could be placed on the Poi that tracks movement (accelerometer maybe?? not sure) and then that data could be put into MAX and values assigned to a color that is then generated and projected? The problem with the Kinects is interference from the projector and the camera sensor.

Thanks!

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Hi. I'm just a customer speculating in the dark, but I have a thought. Poi tipped with reflective tape and a camera with a bright light may produce nice moving dots that can be tracked by computer vision. It's more of a programming challenge than I'm ready to tackle at present, but projects like Creepy Face Tracking Portrait appear to use the tools you would need. Could a Raspberry Pi with a camera and open source image tools follow two spinning bright spots and draw nice trails in real time? Would the camera's light interfere with the performance lighting? There may be projects done by others on the web that address these questions, but experimentation is the real proof. Best of success.

Hallelujah!
Disciple
Last edited by Disciple on Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Pixy CMUCam will do object tracking. I believe you can do similar things with OpenCV and the Raspberry Pi camera.

With 2 or more cameras and a bit of math you could track the object in 3 dimensions.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try adding an IR LED to the poi.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”