Circuit Playground Express New Library

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
YochiB

Circuit Playground Express New Library

Post by YochiB »

The libraries appear to have changed. Can it be that the Circuit Playground EXpress is no longer supported?
Thanks in advance.

Mitch

danhalbert

Re: Circuit Playground Express New Library

Post by danhalbert »

It's an active product and very much still supported. I'm not sure what you mean by "changed". Do you mean new CircuitPython libraries or Arduino libraries?

YochiB

Post by YochiB »

danhalbert wrote:It's an active product and very much still supported. I'm not sure what you mean by "changed". Do you mean new CircuitPython libraries or Arduino libraries?
Arduino libraries.

It used to be the case that in the IDE library manager, one could search for "Circuit Playground Express" or even SAMD, and a library that mentioned Circuit Playground Express appeared, and could be loaded.

Now, however, that is not the case. No "Express" is found by that search. Furthermore, say one wanted to try the [very fine] fidget spinner example sketch, for which there were two versions, one for classic CP and one under the examples for CPE, which worked for the CPE. There is now only one fidget spinner example sketch. Being that it does not load onto the CPE, it appears that perhaps that single sketch is the one for the CP classic and not for CP Express! We have many of the newer Circuit Playground Express boards.
Thanks

YochiB

Post by YochiB »

I just checked and loaded some Hello Circuit Playground sketches.
Blink works, though it leaves NeoPixel 0 on full White.

Hello_NeoPixels does not work - it also leaves NeoPixel 0 on full white.

Hello_Temperature sends data to the serial monitor, but data is erratic and C and F temperatures are not the same temp.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

I tried several of the examples you mentioned and they are working, including Hello_NeoPixels. I'm using Arduino 1.8.5. Make sure your packages are up to date:

From the Board Manager:
Arduino SAMD board (32-bits ARM Cortex-M0+) by Arduino version 1.6.16 INSTALLED
Adafruit SAMD boards by Adafruit version 1.0.21 INSTALLED

From the Library Manager:
Adafruit Circuit Playground by Adafruit Version 1.6.9 INSTALLED

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”