Button connectors for beginning solderers
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Button connectors for beginning solderers

by baudot on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 pm

I use Adafruit products with many of my students, but I've had a problem using all the Adafruit buttons I've tried with beginning students: Between the fact that we're using lead free solder at higher temperatures, and that the students often heat the solder longer while they're learning, the plastic parts inside the button often melt. Buttons jam. connectors fall out of the liquid plastic; it's frustrating for the students.

These buttons look like they're meant to be used with blade connectors, rather than being soldered to directly, but Adafruit doesn't seem to carry the matching female blade connectors. Anyone here have a recommended source for blade connectors for these small button pins, or another way of avoiding this frustration with student soldering?

Sample button that one of my students melted the pins out of:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1503

baudot

Re: Button connectors for beginning solderers

by adafruit_support_bill on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:58 am

Based on the drawing dimensions, it looks like these might fit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1152
I will double-check.

adafruit_support_bill

by baudot on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks!
I'm eager to hear the verdict.

baudot

by adafruit2 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:20 pm

hiya the quick connects we stock right now won't work with those buttons, just the small arcade buttons.

we're looking for larger connectors that will, if we find any we'll put them in the shop!

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.