Adding a Programming Lanuguage

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pgmelton

Adding a Programming Lanuguage

Post by pgmelton »

I am a high school programming teacher. I get a new cohort yearly and they stay with me for three years. 10 graders learn python, 11th graders continue with Python and start Java and Seniors take AP Computer Science A (Java). I have them for two periods a day and for all three years (10 hours in a two week period). I started incorporating IoT this year and plan to eventually transition the entire program to IoT with emphasis on programming (I have to stay within state frameworks). I got very excited when I saw that Adafruit was adding Python programability to many of their boards, but I am seeing (as my limited knowledge in Adafruit boards increases) that as of this moment there are many more option using the Arduino sketch language. All of that to say this...... Do I add C or C++ to my curriculum so that my students can capitalize on the broadest spectrum of board usage? I'd have to learn either one, but that should not be a problem.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adding a Programming Lanuguage

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That's a tough call. Java and Python are the more modern languages and you will likely see more Arduino & compatible boards capable of executing them. But C & C++ have been around for a long time and are unlikely to go away any time soon - especially in the world of embedded real-time programming where the overhead of interpreted languages like Python are unacceptable.

pgmelton

Post by pgmelton »

Thanks for the reply. If I interpret your comments correctly, Python will be a growing player in the arae of board development. We can expect projects like MicroPython and CircuitPython to be more accepted and I can expect to see more and more projects, learning guide and supporting products for the Python family. In other words, with respect to developments boards Python will not loss the programming battle as Betamax lost the VCR war. I understand that C/C++ has a huge background and the fact that is compiled on the computer that sent to the board is functionality that will keep C/C++ in the game for a long time. But my goal is that students learn to program well, that they master the design process, They learn the process of designing, prototyping and making IoT items and that they have a lot of fun doing so. I have serious concerns about introducing a third language.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'd agree. There is a lot more to programming than what language you use. And someone well grounded in the fundamentals will be able to pick up new languages as needed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”