Circuit Playground and Code.org
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Circuit Playground and Code.org

by Hapka on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 pm

I am using CP developer's edition with the Code.org Computer Science Discoveries physical computing unit (unit 6).

I successfully loaded the Firmata program onto 11 of my boards and they work well. I used the learning guide to fix two of them - which worked well (the process of pushing the reset button twice when the port information comes up). But I have one stubborn board that is still running the last loaded program but I can't get it to be recognized by the computer.

I am using a Windows 10 laptop and Arduino 1.8.4 to connect to the board. I tested the usb cord with another board so its not the cord. The last program loaded was one of the example programs and seems to be running well, it has a series of colored lights.

Any suggestions?

Hapka

Re: Circuit Playground and Code.org

by danhalbert on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:07 pm

When you double-click the reset button, do you get a slow pulsing LED next to the USB connector?

danhalbert

by Hapka on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Yes.

Hapka

by danhalbert on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:39 pm

That's good. Look in Device Manager (right-click on the Start Menu to get it) under Ports. You should see "Adafruit CircuitPlayground (COMx)", where x is some number. Try this on a good one and on the bad one. Let us know if you see a difference.

When trying to upload the Firmata program, double-click so you get the pulsing LED, and then in Tools-Port, make sure the port showing in the Device Manager is checked in the Arduino Port menu.

danhalbert

by Hapka on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:36 am

The good CP (both are developer's editions) was listed as port 11, I loaded Firmata successfully, I connected the misbehaving CP, and nothing came up in the port list in device manager when I plugged it in or when I pressed reset once or pressed reset twice.

Then I plugged back in the good CP and now windows gives a your usb device is not functioning method and the port doesn't show up for that one. I tried restarting arduino but that didn't help. But that CP does work on my chromebook in the Code.org unit 6. Then I switched the chromebook to the misbehaving one and then back to the good one and the good one stopped working too.

Hapka

by danhalbert on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 am

You can try to clear the error on Windows and Chromebook by rebooting either. Let me know if that doesn't make the good ones work again.

But there's something peculiar with the "bad" CP, so let's just replace it. Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=131538) saying a replacement was authorized, and ask for a new product ID 3000.

danhalbert

by Hapka on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:08 pm

Thanks, I'm going to reboot both machines and try the bad one more time for good measure. Thanks for your help!

Hapka

by danhalbert on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:52 pm

Since the bad one worked for a while and is still running the old program, I'm suspicious it might be a mechanical/electrical-connection problem (like a bent or broken USB jack or a flaky reset button). Of course we can still replace it if it was defective.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.