CIrcuit playground express i2c with MakeCode

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
msdrastal

CIrcuit playground express i2c with MakeCode

Post by msdrastal »

Working with some young ladies in 8th grade on some wearables with CP Express. We are all pretty much newbies.
Trying to interface the .56" 7 segment backpack to the CPE. (P1002)
I understand using pins A4 and A5 for data and clock. Also backpack is hooked up to VOUT and GRND (3AA from lunchbox kit)
I am using using the i2c write number block command in MakeCode and I have reviewed the reference library.
Have verified voltage to the + and - on the backpack and even some voltage on the D and C i2c pins referenced to ground but no LED segments light.

Questions:
Is the address format in the i2c write command block hex(70) or (112) decimal?
I have tried both but no response.
My demo program only contains a forever command block surrounding the i2c write number command
I am using the value 1234 in format Int16LE with repeat "true"

Not sure where I am having problems.
Suggestions?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: CIrcuit playground express i2c with MakeCode

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

My demo program only contains a forever command block surrounding the i2c write number command
Those i2c commands are low level and are used to send raw information to the connected i2c device. So when it says "write number" it's not really for displaying a number on the 7 segment backpack. Some form of a driver would need to be written so you could use the 7 segment backpack in MakeCode. Unfortunately, I don't think there is one yet.

msdrastal

Post by msdrastal »

Is there some demo code we could use in Javascript?
Can I use some other language/compiler and still use a CIrcuit Playground Express?

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

You can use it with CircuitPython:
https://learn.adafruit.com/micropython- ... cuitpython
or Arduino:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-led ... k-firmware

There are libraries available for both of those that let you use the displays without having to worry about the low level i2c comms. See those guides for details. Will one of those work for you? (we generally recommend circuitpython for people stepping up from makecode)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”