Basic Question about ESP boards
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Basic Question about ESP boards

by tkinsman on Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 pm

I was talking with someone else yesterday who said that the ESP boards were to enable Bluetooth LE communications.

I thought that the ESP boards were another line of processors.

Can someone summarize what an ESP is for me?

How do they fit in the Huzzah / Feather / Trinket ecosystem?

tkinsman

Re: Basic Question about ESP boards

by franklin97355 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 pm

ESP chips are manufactured by the Espressif company and there are different chips with different capabilities.

franklin97355

by tkinsman on Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Thank you. Given that start, I can find out that the company makes two main "ESP" products:

The ESP8266 WiFi Module is/was a self contained chip that handles WiFi connections. This is basically a "WiFi Shield" on one chip. This allows your Arduino to do IoT (Internet of Things) connections -- including connecting to a Web service, and probably adafruit.io. This might be useful for data logging, or getting information from the internet.

The ESP32 came later on. It does both WiFi and Bluetooth connections. In addition to WiFi communication, it enables Bluetooth connections. For example, if you wanted to control your Arduino-based robot using a cell phone or tablet over bluetooth, the ESP32 would be a good fit.

I'm easily confused by the fact that the numbers are not sequential, and that the smaller number does more then the bigger number does.

tkinsman

by Yarrumb on Tue May 29, 2018 12:09 pm

I have a power boost 1000c and I would like to mount a spdt switch on the board. Do you sell a switch? or what size and/or spacing is the pin-out for the switch.
Thanks
Bob

Yarrumb

by franklin97355 on Tue May 29, 2018 12:26 pm

What do you want the switch to do?

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.