Adafruit ESP 32 on campus Wifi Network

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
buildingscience

Adafruit ESP 32 on campus Wifi Network

Post by buildingscience »

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 4.20.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 4.20.05 PM.png (30.24 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Hello,

I am using an ESP 32 board for temperature sensing and my code works fine on my home wifi network.

However, when running the project on a campus "guest" wifi network, the ESP 32 connects to the network, but stalls when trying to use MQTT.

Here is where it hangs...

"Connecting to MQTT...."

Any idea why this might be happening? Again, code (and MQTT) runs fine on my home network, which is password protected...

My guess is something related to network security, but i dont know

thanks

-Kyle

Franklin97355

Re: Adafruit ESP 32 on campus Wifi Network

Post by Franklin97355 »

Most educational networks require some form of login. See what happens when you try logging on with a laptop. Also, you should ask the IT Dept. for help. They may be able to allow a login from a specific MAC address.

buildingscience

Post by buildingscience »

Thanks for the quick reply

The problem is not with logging onto the network, but rather what happens once "on" the network.

I can actually connect to the guest network, but then MQTT seems to hang, so my guess is that the MQTT service is being blocked somehow.

I will contact IT and see what they say ....

flounder

Post by flounder »

Also, access to some services, including the general Internet, sometimes require that the MAC address of the computer be registered. This, too, requires working with your IT people. I’ve had to register my MAC addresses (iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Windows laptop) with several places where I do guest lectures. Limitations vary from local-router-blocks-all-traffic to denial-of-Internet to calling-security. A few places I could not register with had a policy of armed-soldiers-take-you-away-for-questioning. (A military base, a top-secret-level contractor, and a-place-that-if-I-mentioned-its-name-I’d-be-arrested-for-treason-or-something).
joe

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”