serial port data capture on chromebooks

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lluchsinger

serial port data capture on chromebooks

Post by lluchsinger »

I teach a High School physical science course where all of the students have chromebooks. I want them to design, code and make data collection tools for their own science experiments. I have figured out how to do this using either make code (javascript) or a combo caret and beagle term (circuitpython) but have not found a way to capture and visualize the data. I can get a stream from beagle term but it does not store the data.

We are a title 1 school. Every freshman at the school is taking this course and I want them to have a strong and enjoyable experience so ease of use is important. I asked IT if we could transition the chromebooks to linux. He suggested using coding with chrome instead. I can use it to send code to my device (circuit playground) but I can not get it to receive data. I feel like I keep getting so close and then just falling short. Any support/ideas would be appreciated.

Franklin97355

Re: serial port data capture on chromebooks

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you can see the serial data on the Chromebook you need a program to capture it. A terminal emulator should be able to do that. How you get one for Chrome, that I do not know but the play store should have something you could try.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”