Recs for Low-cost kit for CPX/Crickit/Bluetooth robot

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gallaugher

Recs for Low-cost kit for CPX/Crickit/Bluetooth robot

Post by gallaugher »

Adafruit Robot Gurus,
My mix of (smart, but many non-technical) freshmen college students have been enjoying working with the CPX, Make Code, and Circuit Python (and I've had fun building a flashy, app-controlled, Bluetooth tie).
https://twitter.com/gallaugher/status/1 ... 8495594497

Some students are interested in building robots, and I'd like to show them an inexpensive way to get their CPX, up and running as a controllable robot. I'm assuming Crickit + Bluetooth LE for Flora (w/use of the Bluefruit app) is the best way for them to expand their CPX. MakeCode would be great, but CircuitPython would be fine, as well.
I'd like to get this Crickit, Bluetooth LE project up and running w/as little complexity as possible (e.g. minimize wiring, if they can buy some sort of inexpensive chassis kit with wheels, motors, etc., that'd be great), while minimizing cost. Wobbly Bot is cool, but it looks like there are a lot of add-on components that'd add up.

If I'm reading the specs right, it looks like the Mini Robot Rover Chassis Kit - 2WD with DC Motors would work.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2939

I was reading ed forum posts & it looks like this is the one Hapka is using:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=141158

Are my assumptions correct on this? And if so, and students have a CPX, and buy this, Crickit, and Bluetooth LE for Flora, 4 x AA Battery Holder with On/Off Switch & 350 mAh lipo and they'd have everything they need (except, maybe some wiring supplies, etc).

If there are better suggestions, I'd welcome advice!
Thanks,
John

gallaugher

Re: Recs for Low-cost kit for CPX/Crickit/Bluetooth robot

Post by gallaugher »

I ended up going with a Wi-Fi Raspberry Pi option, although w/CircuitPython 4.0, I'll likely revisit the Bluetooth option. I got a no-solder platform that'll be below $55 for most folks (assuming you've got things like a mobile phone charger, micro USB cable, USB card reader, etc).

For those interested in a low-cost platform for building a Raspberry Pi Robot controlled over Wi-Fi via an iOS App, I've put together a parts list & step-by-step tutorial (videos and web guides) at:
https://gallaugher.com/lets-build-a-robot/

It includes options for full size & Pi zero form factors, and Adafruit (more powerful, but requires soldering) as well as the WaveShare DC Motor Driver HAT (cheaper, no-solder option, but not as well supported, and I had to hack CircuitPython libraries to support this - all described in tutorials with callouts if you use this option).

Let me know if you find this helpful, have suggests, etc.
Cheers & thanks to the community for being so patient as a newbie slogs through learning all this.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”