Metro, ItsyBitsy compatibility with MakeCode
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Metro, ItsyBitsy compatibility with MakeCode

by bobparks on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:56 am

Issue: There seems to be an issue loading MakeCode to METRO M0 Express and ItsyBitsy M0 Express, even with an updated bootloader. I know that using MakeCode on these boards is beta, but it would be really cool to get it working for the curriculum I have planned out.

Background: I'm teaching a coding class to raw beginners, and I want to start them off on MakeCode.

Hardware: I have an Adafruit METRO M0 Express, an ItsyBitsy M0 Express, and a Circuit Playground Express.

The Circuit Playground works great for this purpose. It's been fine programming it in MakeCode with https://makecode.adafruit.com/ and also in CircuitPython using Mu.

But for my class, I want kids to have the different form factors with the Metro and ItsyBitsy for the hardware project we have planned. These boards don't currently seem to load MakeCode using maker.makecode.com.

The Metro Express can be programmed in CircuitPython fine. But when I drop a .uf2 MakeCode file in the bootloader, the loading lights blink but then the code does not run. I've tried to blink D13 and also A1 (using an off-board LED). No lights, nothing. On my first try, I did notice the bootloader was a V1.23.1, so I updated it to the current V2.2.0.0. Still nothing.

Same experience with the ItsyBitsy. Interesting thing is that when I drop the .uf2 file on the drive, the board blinks like it's loading, but then reverts back to the last CircuitPython script.

I realize the MakeCode capability is a new feature and the work on maker.makecode.com is ongoing. But I'd really love to have my novice kids code on these boards! These are great features for education. Thanks for your help!

bobparks

Re: Metro, ItsyBitsy compatibility with MakeCode

by Swampisland on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:45 am

I have the exact same problem that you described. Hopefully these Boards can use MakeCode one day.

Regards,

Swampisland

by kevinjwalters on Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:02 am

In terms of boards other than the CPX/PyGamer/PyBadge, @johnpark has just published MakeCode Minute: Maker Gemma M0.

If you go to https://maker.makecode.com/ and open a New Project you'll see the Metro M0 Express and ItsyBitsy M0 Express. Both appear with graphics of the board in the simulator. I note this site particular MakeCode site/editor is marked beta - keep any eye out for issues/bugs.

kevinjwalters

by kevinjwalters on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:24 pm

@bobparks Is this still broken?

@Swampisland which board(s) were you testing against?

kevinjwalters

by abraham5 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:13 am

Even I faced the same scenario.

abraham5

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.