๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

pyportal and nasa image viewer
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

pyportal and nasa image viewer

by Hethacker on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm

hey, I keep getting a response on my pyportal about it not having enough internal memory to be able to run the program, I have tried everything but cannot figure out what the problem is.

Saving data to /cache.bmp
[Errno 30] Read-only filesystem
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "code.py", line 32, in <module>
File "code.py", line 29, in <module>
File "/lib/adafruit_pyportal.py", line 740, in fetch
File "/lib/adafruit_pyportal.py", line 737, in fetch
File "/lib/adafruit_pyportal.py", line 733, in fetch
File "/lib/adafruit_pyportal.py", line 733, in fetch
OSError:

No writable filesystem found for saving datastream. Insert an SD card or set internal filesystem to be unsafe by setting 'disable_concurrent_write_protection' in the mount options in boot.py

Hethacker

Re: pyportal and nasa image viewer

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:29 pm

[Errno 30] Read-only filesystem

Looks like you haven't done the step to make the file system writable:
https://learn.adafruit.com/pyportal-nas ... dot-py-5-9

adafruit_support_carter

by Hethacker on Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Which step is that? do I need to convert the boot.py to a different type of file?

Hethacker

by adafruit_support_carter on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Basically it's just a file rename. When you downloaded the project zip, there should have been a file in there called unsafe_boot.py, which you probably copied over with everything else. So just need to rename it to boot.py and press reset.

adafruit_support_carter

by jonvarteresian on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi,

So It looks like this Nasa viewer will not run without an SD card present. I have performed the unsafe_boot.py rename to boot.py and see the warning messages I am supposed to see, but I still couldn't actually process the image through the viewer. it would try and partially succeed and then throw an exception.

Maybe I was just running out of internal storage? Anyway, when I added an SD card everything just started working!

In a separate question, I would see the Nasa screen, then some error messages, then the pyportal would reboot and I couldn't read the error messages fast enough. How can I see those messages before they disappear?

thanks!

jonvarteresian

by kevinjwalters on Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am

The NASA application does not require an sd card to work, it's more likely to be a coincidence and some other action was required. It writes to the PyPortal's built-in flash storage, you should find a file called cache.bmp in root directory.

One thing I noted and was previously unaware of: boot.py isn't read/used if you press Control-D in REPL over serial to do a reload - you need to press reset button on the back of the device or power cycle. I would eject storage before that, particularly on Windows.

kevinjwalters

by kevinjwalters on Thu May 23, 2019 5:07 pm

To add a bit more detail that I've recently discovered, I think the NASA viewer does take advantage of an SD card if it's present due to a feature in the library it uses, detail is in adafruit_pyportal library and SD card for cache.bmp.

I just added a (16GB) SD card but I've now hit this bug, PyPortal Error but a simple library upgrade should deal with that.
Last edited by kevinjwalters on Sat May 25, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

kevinjwalters

by Hethacker on Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Okay, I bought a 64 GB micro SD card and inserted it into the pyportal, but I still have the same content length error. Is there something else I need to add to configure the SD card?

when I tried to normally add the boot.py from the zip file, I still have the same issue.

Hethacker

by kevinjwalters on Sat May 25, 2019 7:39 am

64GB is a useful, common size nowadays but it puts you in SDXC/exFAT territory. I've got a cheap GoPro and I know it doesn't like these "big" cards and I've noticed one of my old USB sd card adapters doesn't work with a 128GB card - one has to be cautious above 32GB.

I've asked this question to check these are ok:
SD cards larger than 32GB in PyPortal + other Adafruit board. In the meantime it might be worth trying with a 32GB or less card if you have one to hand.

kevinjwalters

by Hethacker on Wed May 29, 2019 12:18 am

Alrgiht, I did not have a spare SD card that low, but a quick trip to Best Buy got me a 16 GB card and that got the code working mostly, but the first 5-6 top lines of the image are black. otherwise, it seems to work fine.
IMG_2323 (1).jpg
nasa image, first top lines are missing it looks like
IMG_2323 (1).jpg (780.86 KiB) Viewed 1047 times

Hethacker

by kevinjwalters on Wed May 29, 2019 4:26 am

Seems rare but I've had that too, see NASA image partially blank on PyPortal.

Did you have the serial console connected at the time? I didn't but I do now connect it up in case there's a revelation there on this problem.

kevinjwalters

by Hethacker on Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

I think it was an artifact of the image yesterday, when I opened it up today, I had the full picture of the spiral galaxy. Thank you for the help, it looks awesome!

Hethacker

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.