Replacement Micro Servo Horns?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Replacement Micro Servo Horns?

by fishm on Mon May 06, 2019 7:37 am

I am developing a unit in my 7th grade Coding and Robotics class using the CPX and micro servos. Because this is a "maker" unit, I anticipate that students will be hot gluing and attaching things to the servo "horns." Is there a source to replace just these horns - preferably in bulk? Right now, it seems that the only way to get the horns is to repurchase the servos, which is not cost effective on an annual basis - especially if the servos are not in need of replacing.

I did search the Adafruit site, and did not find anything in the shop, but I might have missed. Perhaps this is something that Adafruit could begin stocking? (Please?)

Thanks for the help!

Marty

fishm

Re: Replacement Micro Servo Horns?

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon May 06, 2019 7:53 am

Vendors like ServoCity carry replacement horns for some servos. But they are mostly the more expensive anodized aluminum type. I'll pass along the suggestion to our products team.

adafruit_support_bill

by fishm on Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 am

Yep - I had seen those in my searching. Those are too expensive - might as well purchase new servos every year - which I just don't have the funding to do. I'd love a bulk pack of the super inexpensive plastic/nylon ones that my 12-year-old students can glue on and destroy to their hearts' content. Having a replacement option for these would make using the CPX with a classroom over multiple years much more sustainable for schools. Thank you for considering it as a potential product - and please keep me posted!

fishm

by slivingston_onc on Mon May 06, 2019 8:25 am

I have this same concern and second work around options parts-wise for those projects that need hot glue etc. OR some really great suggestions for how to do without hot glue.

slivingston_onc

by fishm on Mon May 06, 2019 8:54 am

I am going to try to avoid using hot glue on the servos or the CPX by using 3M's "Dual Lock" product. It is like velcro, but "snaps" together much more securely. This way I am hoping to share servos and CPX's among multiple classes. However, each group will need to be able to use their own servo horns to attach to the servos in their projects. These will likely need hot glue - haven't found another solution yet. Let me know if you find one!

fishm

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon May 06, 2019 9:17 am

Hot glue can usually be peeled off from nylon horns. Although some types adhere more strongly than others.

I've 3D printed horns with some success. There are files for that up on Thingiverse. But you do need a well-tuned printer to get the splines right for micro-sized servos.

adafruit_support_bill

by fishm on Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 am

I have wondered about 3d printing, but I don't have one available for my classroom. I'll need to experiment with peeling off the hot glue when I get the equipment in my hands. Thanks for the suggestion!

fishm

by millercommamatt on Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 am

I've seen them in packs on eBay. What's your target per unit cost?

millercommamatt

by fishm on Mon May 06, 2019 11:19 am

Ha - as inexpensive as possible!

fishm

by franklin97355 on Mon May 06, 2019 1:01 pm

franklin97355

by fishm on Mon May 06, 2019 1:09 pm

I'll have to check that out. Another source might be Motion RC: https://www.motionrc.com/products/freew ... ervos-n913

fishm

by westfw on Wed May 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Depending on which type of ARM you need, it looks like there are some possibilities on Aliexpress. Here are a couple of examples:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 5d754K5BqY
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1set-RC ... 87090.html

Specifications are a bit lacking at most Aliexpress vendors; it might take a bit of trial and error to figure out which arms fit the Adafruit servos...
westfw

by fishm on Thu May 09, 2019 6:53 am

The second one looks promising - thanks for posting!

fishm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.