Circuit Playground Accelerometer Issues

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
smcelwrath

Circuit Playground Accelerometer Issues

Post by smcelwrath »

As a teacher, I received a Circuit Playground kit for myself last summer (July 2018) from my Code.org Professional Development. When testing the Unit 6 lessons on Code.org and using my Circuit Playground, I've had no issues. Today my students are working on the Accelerometer lesson and the entire class code did not work. As I investigated this issue further, their accelerometers were measuring the wrong things. Pitch was being measured with left and right movement. Roll was being measured with forward to backward movement and it was all opposite of the way that mine works and the directions in Code.org. It's as if the accelerometers were put in upside down and backwards. The Circuit Playground kit I ordered for my class is brand new and was received in February of this year. Not one of them that I received has the accelerometer working properly. (I was certain it was just me at first!) HELP!

Franklin97355

Re: Circuit Playground Accelerometer Issues

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll check with the production team.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

smcel, can you tell me if the back says Circuit Playground Classic or Express?

smcelwrath

Post by smcelwrath »

My teacher board that I received at Code.org training says "Classic" the boards my students have say "express"

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

OK - we did a big upgrade from classic to express but one of the changes is that the accelerometer rotated 90 degrees. if you look on the board, in the middle find the XYZ orientation notes.
the boards work fine but they need to be 'turned' in the hand 90 degrees clockwise. does that work?

smcelwrath

Post by smcelwrath »

YES!! I'll email Code.org and ask that they add that information to their Accelerometer lesson!! Thank you so much!

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

thank you! team work makes the dream work :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”