CPX Board Failures
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CPX Board Failures

by bbutl58 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:32 am

I have purchased about 120 CPX boards for my school beginning about the middle of last year.
So far I have about 8 boards that have stopped working, mainly due to them not showing up as a USB drive when connected to a computer. I have tried them on a range of computers (both PC and Mac) with the same result. Is there something I could do or send them back to you to test and get some idea of what the fault is, how to get them working again, or what to avoid doing with them.

We are finding them a wonderful tool in classrooms from year 7 to 10, but don't really want to have that kind of failure rate.

bbutl58

Re: CPX Board Failures

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 pm

It sounds like they were initially working? Any chance the students shorted out the pads or some other incorrect wiring?

What are you programming the board with? Arduino? Makecode? CircuitPython?

adafruit_support_carter

by bbutl58 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:17 pm

The students have been using either Makecode or Circuitpython. They have been wiring to servo's and sensors. I get them to disconnect the power before wiring, but sometimes they may not have done that.

bbutl58

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:51 pm

but sometimes they may not have done that

Entirely possible.

For the specific combination of Mac and MakeCode, there is this potential issue to watch out for:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-cir ... bootloader

adafruit_support_carter

by dsiee on Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Is there power on the board?
Have you tried entering boot loader mode?
Is a device (even an unrecognised / malfunction one) appearing in device manager on a windows PC?

It is entirely possible the kids have killed them. 5% death rate per year isn't bad for classroom devices imo.

dsiee

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.