Guidance on CPXbf?

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gallaugher

Guidance on CPXbf?

Post by gallaugher »

Hi,
I understand some things are beyond your control, but I'm wondering if you can provide any sort of guidance. I'm going to be purchasing 100 CPX devices for students this semester & would like them to be the CPXbf rather than the standard CPX. I'd hate to give in and make a purchase of CPXs just to find out the bfs are available two weeks later. Is there any sort of guidance one can provide?
Thanks & sorry for the trouble. I appreciate your work, just trying to get my timing right or move forward with older plans, as makes the most sense.
John
[email protected]

adafruit2

Re: Guidance on CPXbf?

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya for
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4333
we should have some more in stock in the next week or two, please sign up to be notified!

gallaugher

Post by gallaugher »

Thanks so much. I'm very much hoping to be able to buy 110 at once. I know up until now they've been only available 2 at a time. I'll juggle my schedule hoping I can get these sometime during October. Good luck hitting production goals!
And for those looking for a fun Circuit Playground Express Bluefruit Alpha no-solder project, here's a YouTube tutorial for a "Circuit Python Smart Tie" build where I let my students control my tie via the Bluefruit app.
https://youtu.be/gvryFFro9BU

Cheers,
John

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ooh 110 at a time at what date?

gallaugher

Post by gallaugher »

Well, I had the CPX exercise on the syllabus for Monday, but if I can get these during the month of October, we'd have enough time to do some work before the end of the semester when the class finishes in December. Last year we used CPXs for MakeCode & CircuitPython sessions, then dispatched students to do projects for the final week. Here's a look at the results:
https://youtu.be/UtXoJ5i1-U8
My fingers remain crossed that we can do something like this, this year with the bfs.
Thanks,
John

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok we happen to bave 95 CPBF in stock right now
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4333
we removed the limit, we recommend you snag what we have now, and we'll get more in later this week (we hope!)

gallaugher

Post by gallaugher »

Thank you *SO* much. Just ordered them. Looking forward to seeing what students come up with this semester. Always let me know if we can ever be helpful to you in sharing experiences, trying out new approaches, etc.
All the best,
John

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

awesome, please let us know of bugs you find in arduino/circuitpy. note that makecode does not support this chip and we don't know if/when it will - also BLE is undergoing some seismic API changes between 4 and 5 - so pick one and stick with it :) other than that, most CPX-projects should 'just work' on the CPB! and if they dont let us know

gallaugher

Post by gallaugher »

Super. Good to know about Make Code since I was going to do a session on that but now I’ll just get them straight to Circuit Python. My earlier projects used v5 so I was planning to stick with that.

What’s the best way to get you feedback? Tried the standard Circuit Python library last night and ran into probs. I’ve been using board but would love to use the library from adafruit_circuitplayground.express instead.

Here’s what I posted on the other forum
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=157093

Code was

Code: Select all

from adafruit_circuitplayground.express import cpx
import time

while True:
    cpx.pixels.fill((255, 0, 0))
    time.sleep(0.5)
    cpx.pixels.fill((0, 0, 0))
    time.sleep(0.5)
The error below shows up:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "code.py", line 1, in <module>
File "/home/travis/build/adafruit/Adafruit_CircuitPython_Bundle/libraries/drivers/circuitplayground/adafruit_circuitplayground/express.py", line 53, in <module>
ImportError: no module named 'audioio'

I’m going to put up some videos for my students in the coming weeks and I’ll be sure to share. Working through best approaches now for things like choosing initial lib files (current lib folder is too big for the CPX)

Thanks
John

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can open any issues ya got on the relevant library like here
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... Playground

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

please use circuitpy 5 only - the BLE API is firming up, all our examples have been 'ported' to the v5 API. no makecode yet, hopefully next year but no ETA :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”